Notices

Batchlorette party!

Old 08-31-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Batchlorette party!

Hi guys, I've been sober for 2 days, so far so good. Problem is, I'm committed to a weekend-long batchlorette party at the end of September. The party is for a very old friend and I'd like to be there. I'm a little scared this may lead to a relapse, of course. I committed to the thing before I decided to try to quit drinking. Any advice on how to shack up in a cabin for 2 days with women who will be drinking all weekend long?
Old 08-31-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Personally I wouldn't have gone so early on into sobriety because I know Iwould not have been able to abstain
Old 08-31-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I agree that for me that would have been way to early to attend an event where the only planned activity is drinking.

How about telling your friend why you would prefer to not attend and meet her for dinner another time? Or just visit for a short part of the party during the day when drinking is less heavy? I can almost 100% guarantee you won't enjoy it anyway, there's not much to do when you are sober amongst a group who's sole purpose is to get drunk and get each other drunk
Old 08-31-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dahliadee View Post

Any advice on how to shack up in a cabin for 2 days with women who will be drinking all weekend long?
the true facts are for most newly sober ones

this would be a place not to go

simple but true

question - how important is my sobriety to me ??

what are the odds that I will drink there 20%, 50%, 90% or 100% ?????

if we are at the over 50%

we might as well go ahead and have a drink now ??

why tease myself -- odds are that I will be drinking soon anyway

unless I make the right decision and don't go to a slippery place

Mountainman
Old 08-31-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

I'm going to an all-weekend party in early sobriety where drinking is the main event, I'm getting drunk.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I'm going to an all-weekend party in early sobriety where drinking is the main event, I'm getting drunk.
Or torturing myself
Old 08-31-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd find a way to get out of it. Call off sick...
Old 08-31-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Two days? I would not recommend you go for 2 hours.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Daliadee, I look at it like this, your priority is 1; to stay sober or 2; start drinking. There is no such thing as being kinda sober or kinda drinking. I like what Scott suggested. Very wise idea! Good luck on a most difficult decision so early into your sobriety!
Old 08-31-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Talk to your friend and explain to her that you are in early sobriety. Send her a nice gift too. If she is a real friend, she will understand and be supportive that you are taking care of your health. If she throws a Bridzilla fit, then she was not a friend but a drinking buddy.
Another alternative is that if you know of a friend who does not drink and is going, to attach yourself to that person.

Good luck
Old 08-31-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here dahlia

a weekend long bachelorette party means one thing - honestly? chances are you'll either end up drinking, or totally, resentful, out of place and miserable.

I'd find something else to do with your friend - something meaningful

D
Old 08-31-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I passed on a weekend long Vegas trip for one of my good friend's bday early in my sobriety. They had giant suite, rented cabanas, bottle service in the club, but I honestly didn't feel it was right for me to go. It was a battle I was going back and fourth about, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Now I'm over 2 months sober and feel better than ever.

Needless to say, I never once regretted that decision since then
Old 09-01-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'd just say I was sick and not go. In the long run, two things are true:

- If it triggers you to drink again, it can ruin your life.
- Everyone will forget eventually. Life goes on. You were simply sick that weekend, too bad you couldn't make it, etc. No big deal.

Make sobriety your priority. Everyone can get a viral infection or a stomach bug at any time, so just pretend you have one. Start to fake feeling sick a few days ahead of time and you'll be fine.

If you think you're doing something wrong by lying, you're wrong. It's for a good purpose. Your friends would understand.

Also, being sober and staying sober is so much more important. You have to choose to do this for yourself. Sometimes that's just necessary.

And think about it like this: in the long run, your friends will be better off with a sober you than an alcoholic you and so is everyone else around you. Which is in turn better for you as well. It's a positive cycle.

I'd lie for this. It's a good lie.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't go, even though it's a very old friend. Explain to them that you've quit drinking and can't possibly take the risk. You say that you're "committed". Yes, you are- "committed" to yourself to stop drinking. That commitment trumps all others. No one, no one has the right to take that away from you. Do you really want to stop? If you do, then don't go.

W.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Like others, I think it would be best to avoid this gathering. I know it will be tough to change your plans, but Carlotta gave you some good advice about talking with your friend. There are simply too many pitfalls, this is the type of situation that recovering alcoholics must avoid, in my experience. Good luck, I'm sorry you're going through this tough time.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My relapses often happen when I am committed to a party or event or holiday. They have happened on Christmas, a big 50th party for a long time friend, Thanksgiving, and a couple of vacations.

Those big events are too tempting, and others are looking for companionship in drinking.

Just know that before you choose to go.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have to love myself enough right now to know that old situations could mean triggering a relapse. I don't feel that I have enough time under my belt to be in situations where I will feel like I am missing out.

I feel like I am relearning how to live life. Right now I still have the training wheels on. My family and good friends understand that this is a major decision, one that needs to come before anything.

If I was the bride and my dear friend was doing something that may save her life, then the best wedding gift I could get was for her to take care of herself. Give your friend the gift of your health and well-being!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=jaynie04;4154186
: If I was the bride and my dear friend was doing something that may save her life, then the best wedding gift I could get was for her to take care of herself. Give your friend the gift of your health and well-being![/QUOTE]

Dahiladee: Yes, If she is really the true friend you say she is, then she will understand. And if you go to the party and relapse, possibly get drunk in front of her, you would very likely spoil the party for her and make her sad. Call in sick. Alcoholism is a sickness. You will not be lying.

W.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
EndgameNYC: So you actually intend to relapse! Interesting that you admit it. Usually it's covered up with denial. You are an exception. You are being honest with yourself. So it seems you have not really committed yourself to sobriety. That will take more time for you. And, it's being Labor Day, it's going to be a "long" weekend. Under the circumstances your avatar is interesting.

W.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
EndgameNYC: So you actually intend to relapse! Interesting that you admit it. Usually it's covered up with denial. You are an exception. You are being honest with yourself. So it seems you have not really committed yourself to sobriety. That will take more time for you. And, it's being Labor Day, it's going to be a "long" weekend. Under the circumstances your avatar is interesting.

W.
I think that Endgame was reposting the OP's original post without the layers of denial and showed it for what it truly was.

DahliaDee, I hope you will listen to us. Lots of good advice, one of the posters has decades of continuous sobriety, another one had 21 years sober then relapsed..this crowd knows what they are talking about. Don't play Russian roulette with alcohol.

Take care of yourself.