Advice on family situation (Very long)

Old 08-31-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice on family situation (Very long)

I live in Manchester England. I used to have as painkiller habit, i am 25 years old, now I use poppy pods, I do not want to get into it too much but I spend savings I accumulated on them, I spend 50 pound a week on them. I have taken the same amount of pods for the last 2 years, I'm not perfect I know I am wrong.

In January, my family found out my dad has been an addict for 2 years. He spends all his money on pills, a bottle of wine a night, electric cigarettes and normal cigarettes. He has for the last year built up a debt on a loan website and he gives all his income to them every month and then takes out the money he put into the loan compny, to live on, every month.

He puts 20 percent of his 'income' on the house bills/shopping/etc. Thats it!!Thank god my mum and sister can bend over backwards to pay for these things but its a struggle every month. He lies, steals my mums painkillers which are in my room, because keeping them in her room, would be a risk. My sister is 20 years old and should be saving and getting a better job but she cannot afford to.

My mom is getting very low income atm, she struggles a lot with pain too. I have been out of work for 1 and a half years since i finished uni. I realise its disgusting that i have been out of work for this long, all i want to do is get a job to help my mum out, and save for the future, but this looks unlikely, given my dads selfishness. We have spoke to him time and time again, he said he was coming off them, Another e.g. is he said he was going docs for his injured arm, he stood in the kitchen the next day and spoke about the details he was talking about with the doctor about his arm. When my mum went to the docs and asked the reason he went to see him, the doctor said it was about sciatica , and gave him 100 painkillers. My dad had no sciatica, he was in no pain.

My dad also told my mum, that she should chuck me out, for doing poppy pods, knowing full well what he is doing, but he was pretending at that point he was off them!

I just want to know who is in the wrong. I am not on the same level as my father am i? Last week , i gave my mum all my benefit money because she could not make the difference on the rent. I also helped her out the week before.

In total he spend 70 percent on pain pills. but then he buys things he doesn't need, i.e. a bottle of wine a night, he buys electric cigarettes and normal ones.

When my mum tries to get through to him all he does is use my as an excuse, which brings my self esteem down. This is all i think about all day, and i want a fresh point of view from someone outside the family. Would you forgive your dad, or is it just the 'drugs talking' as my mum says. SO SORRY FOR BEING VERY LONG
Old 08-31-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

coddhc, you cannot change you dad (for his addiction) or your mom (for enabling). You can however change yourself. You say you are spending 50 a week on pods (I am guessing its opium). That is a lot of money which could help yourself and your sister. Is this habit preventing you from getting a job? Why is you dad's selfishness preventing you from getting a job given that you are a healthy and educated 25 year old?
Old 08-31-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

eHow Health Conditions & Treatments Drug Addiction What Are Poppy Pods? What Are Poppy Pods?
By Tracii Hanes, eHow Contributor
X
Tracii Hanes
Based in Las Vegas, Tracii Hanes is a freelance writer specializing in health and psychology with over seven years of professional experience. She got her start as a news reporter and has since focused exclusively on freelance writing, contributing to websites like Wellsphere, Education Portal and more. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in communication arts from Southwestern Oklahoma State University.
Share Print this article What Are Poppy Pods? thumbnail Poppy pods are a controlled substance in the United States. Poppy pods are the un-ripened seed capsules of the Papaver somniferum plant. While they are sometimes used ornamentally in crafting, poppy pods can also be used to obtain an opiate high. Because they contain opium, poppy pods can cause many of the same side effects as narcotics like morphine or heroin. Understanding the uses and health dangers of poppy pods allows you to make wise decisions about their use.

Read more: What Are Poppy Pods? | eHow