Notices

Inventing things to be anxious about

Old 08-31-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inventing things to be anxious about

That's where I am today. I am trying to stay calm. My husband is out of town fishing.

I don't know why I am anxious. I think I don't like being alone even though he gets on my nerves!!!!

I am just thinking up stuff to worry about. It is ridiculous.

I am about to study and hopefully take my mind off of things.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I find this site helpful sometimes when I am in a worrying state of mind:

Free Guided Meditations | UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center
Old 08-31-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. Even when I am NOT worried, I think "I must be missing something" and worry some more!

One quote I find helpful: "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength."

Hope you can enjoy the now, and complete your studies and have a peaceful day.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi Elizabeth.

Sometimes we worry over things that seem insignificant or that have no urgency because we'd rather occupy ourselves with trivialities than confront "The Problem." I once heard someone say that worrying is like making payments on a mortgage that you'll never get.

One thing that sometimes works is to set a specific time of day in which you can worry over whatever it is that's bothering you, say from 1:00 to 1:30 or 2:00. Or, if worrying plagues you at bedtime, make it closer to bedtime. In this way, you'll be able feel less besieged by your worries by taking some control over them. Over time, it's then possible to mentally store away your worries for a later time, which sometimes amounts to never.

As an example, there was something bothering me earlier today that I don't need to attend to for at least a week. Even then, it won't require a great deal of time to resolve. After a couple of minutes of knocking this thought around in my head, my thought was, "I don't need to think about that right now." And then my day continued on its merry way.

How we think and the way we think is habit. No matter how ingrained our tendency to ruminate over things, we have the power to change it.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Scheduling a time to worry? Good grief! Actually, that might be a good idea - since I've always hated setting appointments, I'll just set up a "Worry Time" at 2:30 today, and then skip it.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think I was worrying because I know I am home alone and there is alcohol in the house. It is all good though. Hubby is coming home this afternoon and I made it through the weekend.

Alcohol is such a biotch!!!