Notices

safety net

Old 08-31-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

safety net

Do any of you find that you post here rather than dealing with people in your life, maybe even a way to get positive attention, easier than feeling like a disappointment to the people who care about you? Maybe it's easier to face words and avatars than real people, sort of a safe escape from reality?
Old 08-31-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I think I was possibly doing that years ago when I was here posting while I continued to drink. I was accuse of it by my partner.

Today, I'm confident that's not the case for me.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 08-31-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a sad way to look at support. Yes, SR provides a safety net in that it is a place to vent and get support. But an escape from reality? I think not. The people who post here are very real. The situations are very real. The help is very real.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a support forum. Not all of it is cheerleading and "rah rah" type stuff. The real people in my life support me and are very positive. But I live alone, and travel frequently. SR makes it easy for me to reach out and talk to others 24/7, no matter where I am. You can never have too many tools in your tool box when it comes to recovery.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, I post and read here to try to keep from drinking when my husband is drinking in the same room. So, I am avoiding him, but it is a positive thing that I pull strength from being here rather than become weak and join him in his drinking.

I find the responses and positive feedback very encouraging. It is why I came back today. I know I can count on the people here to make me feel better about myself and to give me more strength to stick with my plan for sobriety. And to help me form a plan for it as well.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Friends and family can be supportive up to a point, but unless they've been through addiction etc, then they can't understand 100%.
SR and other support sources, are invaluable at filling that gap.
I personally am happy with just SR
Old 08-31-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I did the safety net here in early recovery. I had also begun attending in person meetings on day 5 of recovery.

Today, I rely on both SR and people in person to talk with. Today, it's about others.

Have a wonderful sober day today!