Notices

Sister of an addict

Old 08-31-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Sister of an addict

My brother has been an addict since he was a teenager. He is now 40. He has had times over the years where he was clean, but few and far between. My parents have always been enablers. We all share a house now, him, my parents, my 3 college children, and his 6 year old son. It has been getting worse-if that was even possible the last 6 months. He has stolen money from me and my children, and has destroyed and damaged items in the house. He even was found naked in my daughters room watching her sleep. This week he took my parents wedding rings and hocked them. When he finally admitted to this, only after my parents called the police, and my dad took him to the pawn shop to buy them back, only to find they had already been sold, now my parents want him in rehab. But since he has no insurance he is finding it hard to get into 1. My mother would press charges for the rings but my dad won't. I am afraid in a few days it will just all blow over again, and on we will go until the next time. My daughter who goes away to school says she will not be coming home for visits much if he stays here. My other daughter now stays at her bf's house 6 nights a week. I am at my wits end..I do not want to live this way. And it has to be a big secret, as my parents do not want anyone outside of the house to know about my brother/family problems. I do not know what to do. The wedding rings put me over the edge. Who steals their parents wedding rings? I hate him on such a level-does that make me a bad person? And when will my parents wake up? It has been over 20 years with him and his problems.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

You still live with your enabling parents, maybe you can get to Al Anon and work on your recovery from all of this?
Old 08-31-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, thankfully it is a big house. I am a single parent and my ex never paid the child support he was supposed to, so I was never able to afford a place of my own while raising 3 children. I was looking into those meetings, today and this site is my first reach for help/support. Besides venting, I am looking for all advice.