Notices

i wish - rock bottom

Old 08-31-2013, 02:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy i wish - rock bottom

Hi... been browsing site for 2 years now... drank hard for many years until it turned on me and I am still surprised... (that it turned on me) do you think standing in a liquor store buying a bottle of tequila and having a homeless filthy "customer" rub up against me would be enough to make me quit? When I told him in no uncertain terms not to touch me, he looked at the store's owner, all aggrieved, and said, I don't even like her; she's not even pretty! (pls note, I was in pajamas 6pm as per usual in my big city, where no one bats an eye) I used to be an attractive woman. I used to be alot of things. I even used to be married to an alcoholic, years and years ago. I left him for drinking too much (ha). How has drinking a pint of tequila a night happened to me? I don't even think I can quit at this point. But you all seem like such nice people, please be kind. Believe me, I never dreamed this would happen to me.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Welcme to SR

Perhaps you feel you can't quit, but if you really want to, you will find plenty of helpful suggestions here.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Missjmc and welcome to SR I don't think any of us planned this or believed it would happen to us, but sadly, it did and believe me, you've picked an excellent site to come to, to deal with it
Old 08-31-2013, 02:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Welcome to SR! I know the feeling. I drank for nearly 30 years and never thought I'd be able to quit...that was over 4 years ago and my life is so much better now. You can do it too, but it's up to you to make that decision.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello missjmc ,

If you want to change things, you can .

Welcome to SR

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-31-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It happened to me to.
There is a way out but you have to want it above all else.
I had done the hospitals, the treatment, and had all manner of 'rock bottoms'.
Finally, i just knew that it was never going to be any better or any different.
Just more of the same misery and a rapid (in the end) descent to more illness and eventually a slow painful death.
I had to decide what i wanted. Did i really want to die never knowing who i truly was and what my potential for good might be?
No, i didn't.
I surrendered.
Guess the penny finally dropped.
I wish you well.
Be safe.
G
Old 08-31-2013, 03:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

I hope the day will come for you when the desire to stay sober is stronger than the desire to drink.Then you will be able to stop.

You have to want it and be prepared for difficult days,it is worth it.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

I am glad you are here. Getting sober is hard in many ways, now life is so much easier and relaxed. Alcohol told me so many stories, i lived in torment - i am now kinder to myself. I hope you can find your way.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Missjmc!
Old 08-31-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Missjmc.

I never thought it could happen to me, and I too was an attractive woman until booze became more important than taking care of myself. I remover when I first saw myself in a mirror and saw a tired, overweight hag looking back.

It was so depressing, but not enough to make me stop. I just stopped looking in mirrors.

Wasn't until my husband confronted me with his concern about my drinking. I guess the fear of losing my family was enough thank goodness!

4 months sober now, and I feel (and look) so much better. Good luck, and I hope you decide sobriety is worth it, and stay with us.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi missjmc and

The day I quit was not rock bottom. I had been there before and even that didn't help me to stop the insanity.

I got up on the morning of May 27th hung over as hell, fought with the husband the night before because of drinking (nothing unusual), stood in my kitchen and said "What the hell am I doing?"

That was 96 days ago and it's taken some work but I no longer need to say that.

Are you sick and tired yet and you've had enough? Sounds like it.

Stick around and read, read, read, and post, post, post. You've come to a great place with lots of info and good people that can help.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

we often lower our bar.....I, too, wore my pj's in public....today, it's just not acceptable to me as I respect myself and others much more than I did when I drank....

rock bottom is when we stop digging cause until death, we can always dig deeper.

talk with your doctor for a proper detox and try not drinking today....

Hugs,
~SB
Old 08-31-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hitting rock bottom is tough. Don't know if I hit it before I stopped. But for sure it takes a while to become an alcoholic, reach 30, 40....50 years old and it doesn't get any better. Then the realistation, need to stop, that is the really hard part and takes a lot of work to dig yourself out of the situation. But it really is worth that hard work.

Not being able to look at myself in the mirror.....I remember that horrible feeling quite well.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome missjmc.

You are not alone. You can find that lovely girl you were and find out who she was meant to be.

I hope you can find a way to make the change and get the hell out of that liquor store and give sober you another chance at life.

Hugs and best wishes.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

35 years of drinking here. Nothing will improve in your life if you keep it up. It will just get worse.

80 days without the taste of ice cold beer. Lost a ton of weight. Head clear. You can overcome the lizard-brain that keeps seeking the pleasure of being drunk.

You can do it. If you have tried the meetings and steps without success, try AVRT or something similar.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome missjmc! Browsing for 2 years and a first post...that is a fantastic milestone! Be proud of yourself. You can do this! Nice to meet you...