Notices

AA and Other Programs

Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA and Other Programs

I have also been to a few meetings this week. Perhaps it is my denial, but I feel like I don't fit in. I've been to 3 different "types" of meetings one small women's group, one medium sized co-ed group and one medium "emotional" meeting. I feel like they are truly alcoholics, and I just need to get my evening drinking under control - (there is a red flag for myself!). Plus, the meetings feel sort of sheepish to me. I'm John Doe and I'm an alcoholic - baaa, baaa, baaa. I know that probably sounds not very nice.

I also am not sure about having to follow a "Program." With quitting smoking - I quit cold turkey and didn't have to do a bunch of stuff. I found an online support group which was very valuable.

On the other hand, I do like the face-to-face contact and the group support of AA. And maybe I need a "Program" since I'm still drinking a bottle in the evenings - except two nights ago, I didn't drink at all.

Some of you mentioned other programs besides AA, but you didn't mention the names. Please mention the names so we can look into those as well.

Thank you! Yes, I'm struggling. Also, I have to tell my husband, and I'm not sure what he is going to say since he is also a drinker. He is very bull headed, and I feel I will look weak if I have to go to AA or something and can't just stop on my own.

Sorry I am rambling.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Check out the secular forum here on SR. There are other recovery programs.

AA is not for everyone, you have to do what works for you.

And you are not weak - you are very strong for reaching out for help and trying to quit.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know about your religion (or not) or where you live but some churches here in SoCal US have programs such as "lifelines" or "one step to freedom". These programs aid in recovery (for all kinds of issues...not just alcohol) and are not quite as structured or rigid as AA. They are for anyone with a problem (even those who have a family member with the problem). You don't have to be a member of the church either. Support of any kind is always good and you may find you actually want to follow a program at some point!

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PetraD View Post
I will look weak if I have to go to AA or something and can't just stop on my own.
If you are here you are looking for a solution. Great.
I thought i would look weak as well by going to AA.
But i looked weaker in a hospital bed with family members, including my kids, just wishing I would have one more chance at living.

Try and stop on your own. Give it a shot. I know i couldnt, and i tried absolutely everything there is.

AA was the only thing that worked (and I know, I know, that is just me)
When you find out you cant do it on your own, AA will be there.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can read about avrt methods in secular section here.
Very helpful. There are several books you might want to read.
I did not use any formal program. Mainly just participate here.
You do what works best for you.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

" Perhaps it is my denial, but I feel like I don't fit in. I've been to 3 different "types" of meetings one small women's group, one medium sized co-ed group and one medium "emotional" meeting. I feel like they are truly alcoholics, and I just need to get my evening drinking under control."

For most alcoholics we need to get honest about OUR drinking before any long term success is feasible. It was pointed out to me in the beginning that if I needed to control my drinking, it is out of control. I also needed to identify and not compare with the people. I never slept in abandoned cars, lost a job, family, and got into only a few jackpots after drinking. Someone said add the word Yet = Your Eligible Too. BE WELL
Old 08-30-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Petra. You could do worse than check out a SMART meeting. Also see Lifering, Celebrate recovery, Women For Sobriety. The good thing about AA though is that you will find lots of meetings. Or there is Rational Recovery which is a non meeting based approach.

Please don't feel weak for going to meetings. It takes great strength to ask for help when we need it. It's also a very wise thing to do. I told someone once that I wasn't very good at asking for help and they responded 'that's why so many alcoholics don't recover'. Sad but true x
Old 08-30-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around Petra - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

D
Old 08-30-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Petra,
Lifering was a good fit for me; they have f2f meetings in quite a few places (they are growing) and a strong on-line presence, including forum, 24/7 chat, scheduled online meetings, e-mail lists, a social network.
you can check them out at The LifeRing Home Page | Sobriety, Secularity, Self-Help