Notices

I cant stop

Old 08-30-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I cant stop

Im a mess...I keep drinking...my alcoholism keeps saying Im not an alcoholic. Im gonna lose everything dear to me. My husband wants to leave me. I have 3 kids and I still justify it.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You obviously know you have a problem - have you thought about reaching out for help in a face to face way javamama?

D
Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went right to the edge of losing my family, too, java. It's hard but you CAN do it.

Keep coming back, we're here for ya.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's lying to you. As evidenced by the fact you can't stop... What are you doing to avoid drinking?
Old 08-30-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Does it matter if you're not an alcoholic? Maybe you could just 'fake it til you make it'. When I had doubts like that I tried treating it as an experiment to see what would happen if I stayed sober. You don't have to be absolutely certain before you quit x
Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

First off anything is possible. If you want it enough. Secondly you don't need to fight this alone. Take a deep breath and try and make a plan.

Speak to your husband, doctor a friend anyone who you think might help
Old 08-30-2013, 12:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I came close to losing my family too. Three boys who looked at me like I was crazy, disgusting or pathetic, one, all three or any combination thereof. My husband, on the final night of my drinking career, dropped me at an emergency room and told me not to come home...no one wanted me there. We had been married for 24 years.

Not one person, especially not I, expected a recovery from this. Too many blackouts, humiliating dramas, screaming fights, vomiting, binges, hangovers, lies, money wasted. Just too much history, and most of it, especially in the last years, truly awful. Just miserable.

It's quite amazing what sobriety helps accomplish. For me, once I got sober, everything sort of fell back into place. Did I have A LOT of amends to make, time to make up for, trust to restore, etc...Damned right I did. But being sober made these once seemingly impossible hurdles if not easy, then at least, with much hard work and humility, possible.

Fast forward to today, four years and six months later. Our marriage is better than its ever, EVER been. When my boys look at me, I see love and pride in their eyes (if I saved forever and sold everything I had and won the lottery, I still would not have enough money to buy those amazing looks from them. I had to earn them, and they are priceless). My family doesn't have that scared, watchful air about them, as if waiting for Mom to screw up and humiliate them yet again. My sister calls me just to chat, about nothing in particular, and I love that. When I say I'll be somewhere, I show up. When I'm asked to bring something, I do. I'm dependable, which shocks me still, four years and six months later.

So, Mrs. Javamama, put aside your fear, it accomplishes nothing. Likewise guilt, worry, humiliation, shame...Spilt milk. There is a wealth of information right here on Sober Recovery. Go to an AA meeting. Educate yourself on Recovery. You should go to your Doctor and come clean about your drinking, find out what to expect during withdrawal. Devise a plan, then stop drinking. You can do it, just like so many of us did. I'm really glad you reached out for help. We're filling your arms with everything we know that might help you, so take it and run with it. The ball is in your court. You can do it!

Old 08-30-2013, 12:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Inspirational post longbeach. Superb!!
Old 08-30-2013, 01:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=javamama;4150346]my alcoholism keeps saying Im not an alcoholic. /QUOTE]

This. I have this voice in my head right now. It's like a demon living inside my head. But we can both make it through, just remember that voice is addiction and you're not thinking straight.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Longbeach - geez !!! AGAIN with the goosebumps !!! Write a book please.

Xo ao
Old 08-30-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LDT

Awesome post, longbeach! Reminds me of my own scenario. I love that we both came out on the other side better than ever with our families.

Javamama...It IS possible!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

We are here for you!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No half measures

Until I said goodbye my best friend alcohol things only got worse. A day came when things were so bad I surrendered. Alcohol has kicked my b*** for the last time. I found AA and sobriety.

Sobriety is possible when you want it bad enough and do it a day at a time.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by longbeachone View Post
so, mrs. Javamama, put aside your fear, it accomplishes nothing. Likewise guilt, worry, humiliation, shame...spilt milk. There is a wealth of information right here on sober recovery. Go to an aa meeting. Educate yourself on recovery. You should go to your doctor and come clean about your drinking, find out what to expect during withdrawal. Devise a plan, then stop drinking. You can do it, just like so many of us did. I'm really glad you reached out for help. We're filling your arms with everything we know that might help you, so take it and run with it. The ball is in your court. You can do it!
+ 1