Notices

Merlot and E-mail do not mix

Old 08-29-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Merlot and E-mail do not mix

"Merlot and E-mail do not mix" I put this phrase on a post-it note and attached it to my computer. It's a reminder of the bad judgement calls I have made over the years during drinking binges. Has this ever happened to you?

I'm personally very shy, but I'd get drunk and start thinking about something, like, work-related or relationships. And then, disaster. "Well, I think I'm going to send an email and tell this person what I'm REALLY thinking." For example, there was the time when, in a drunken-state-of-mind, I thought it would be a good idea to send an email to our company CFO to tell her that I didn't appreciate the way she had been treating me lately..... ARGH!

When I woke up hungover in the morning and realized what I had done the night before, I was mortified.. Dreading the backlash....Anxiety through the roof...

"Were you drinking last night?" she asked. I admitted that indeed I had been drinking wine the night before and apologized for my behavior. She was cool about it, actually very nice to me, but, in my mind, the damage had been done. Can't retrieve the e-mail and I'm sure it went right into my personnel file for "future reference". This happened about a year ago and to this day I feel embarrassed when I see her at the office.

This is the time of year again when things get tense around the office (I work at a university - it's fall, back-to-school time). I'm into day 20 of sobriety and just sharing my thoughts as reminder of the hell I went through last year during the binge-drinking nights....remember: "Merlot and E-mail do not mix"
Old 08-29-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate to this all too well.. The thing I've realised now is that 'stress' was my excuse I gave myself to drink. Yeah for real I was stressed out but drinking never helped it - if anything once I sobered up and retraced emails and calls etc I only had more stress and anxiety to deal with.

So anyways the point I'm making is that I'm still stressed but less so because now I don't stress over where to buy alcohol, how to hide the hangover, the smell of the drink, the awkward 'you need to cut down drinking Emily' conversations and if I'm honest I deal with the stress a bit better without the half drunken hangover state lol
Old 08-29-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Agreed! Merlot and email...or text... for FB... or phone... do not mix!! Congrats on Day 20!!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 13unluckyforsom View Post
The thing I've realised now is that 'stress' was my excuse I gave myself to drink.

Exactly! Me too.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Booze and email do not mix! Especially with exes...
Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Merlot and EBay don't mix either! I used to wake up thinking ' I bought WHAT' ??? for HOW MUCH??
Old 08-30-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At one point last year I had letter sized papers with the phrase "DON'T EMAIL ......" or "DON'T CALL ....", with the appropriate name written, in placed all around the house at strategic locations. I had one at the desktop computer, one where i keep my laptop, and one where i usually drink. I remember thinking i was taking care of the problem. It pretty much worked, i did not email or call her when i was drunk, but i later realized i was just treating a symptom and not the underlying problem.

I used to hate that next morning trying to piece together who i emailed (easy), called (not as easy), facebooked (easy but potentially the most embarrassing), or whatever. I much prefer not having to do this in the morning now.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ebay and booze are a terrible combination. I almost bought a Ferrari one night.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I used to Facebook while drinking. I am normally an amusing person and use FB as an outlet for that humor - sort of my stage for commentary on the world. Well. Um, let's just imagine the last comic standing and falling flat on her face and then having to make fun of herself the next day. Yikes!

Oh and delete delete delete. At least on FB you can do that.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes. Many many screw ups with e-mail, social media and phone. One trick was to call all numbers in my cellphone and tell them what I really thought about things (at the moment).

I got ready for moving to mexico with people online who I didn't even know very well and hadn't gotten a straight answer etc..
Old 08-30-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wizard1969 View Post
Ebay and booze are a terrible combination. I almost bought a Ferrari one night.
I actually DID buy a car, but needed a new one anyway and was only a mazda 323. Maxed out my credit card at the time though. In truth, was the best little car I ever had
Old 08-30-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good post George. I can relate...about a year and a half ago I received an e-mail from an airline company titled: "It's time to check-in!". Apparently I'd purchased a flight to the Caribbean a few weeks beforehand and had no recollection. Regarding personal relationships, I'd start texting different girls if I was bored, just to see who would text back first. It was never inappropriate language, but it didn't end well and damaged a lot of friendships.

Thank goodness those days are over for BOTH of us, George. Keep the sobriety going, you will never have to worry about this kind of thing again!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Groan. In fact any attempt at communication while off your face, written or verbal might as well have a disclaimer at the end saying "This is not going to end well."

My erstwhile wife has a seperate folder of offending emails which I'm sure the divorce lawyer is going to have an absolute whale of a time with. If it weren't for my new found honesty etc. etc., some "mystery hacker" would be performing a disappearing act on those in the very near future........
Old 08-30-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Spewed out every last sordid detail of my daughters broken heart and crushed sense of self to her basketball coach. ******{shudder}}}}
Old 08-30-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoeM View Post
Merlot and EBay don't mix either! I used to wake up thinking ' I bought WHAT' ??? for HOW MUCH??
ROFL x 100. Apparently, I am an avid glass collector....who knew?
Old 08-30-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glass? lol x
Old 08-30-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

Reminded me of the time I woke up on the floor and had a printed confirmation for my purchase of two Marlyn Manson concert tickets. Really. Yea, I use to love that music but it's been years since I've heard anything but KLOVE or AIR1. I was able to sell them easily as it sold out quickly.

Dono
Old 08-30-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Old 08-30-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoeM View Post
LOL, I did the same thing a few times.

For me it is, Merlot and the phone do not mix.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by Nattythreads View Post
Groan.
My erstwhile wife has a seperate folder of offending emails which I'm sure the divorce lawyer is going to have an absolute whale of a time with. If it weren't for my new found honesty etc. etc., some "mystery hacker" would be performing a disappearing act on those in the very near future........
My husband too! Good thing we aren't getting divorced. Although I am sure we would have eventually if I hadn't stopped drinking.