Notices

An Experience of Alcohol

Old 08-29-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An Experience of Alcohol

Today was one of my bigger temptations I've encountered since stopping drinking a little over a month ago. I went out with a few people I used to work with and there was a bottle of wine ordered. I thought how nice it would be to enjoy my friends with a drink and to laugh and talk and be with one another over a bottle of wine. I didn't drink though. It was offered to me. They don't know I'm an alcoholic. I declined but it wasn't with as much confidence as I wish I had. I guess that makes me feel better though because if I was too confident about it I wouldn't be accepting the fact that I do have a problem over which I have no control.

I'm happy to still be sober and happy that I was able to enjoy my time with my friends today. I hope I can continue to be aware of my own triggers and desires. I know that I have an idea in my mind of what drinking alcohol is that is very different from the reality of what drinking is in my life. In my mind its beautiful and fun but in reality its sickness and chaos. I know I'm living something better now.

Thanks for listening!
Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by July2413 View Post
Today was one of my bigger temptations I've encountered since stopping drinking a little over a month ago. I went out with a few people I used to work with and there was a bottle of wine ordered. I thought how nice it would be to enjoy my friends with a drink and to laugh and talk and be with one another over a bottle of wine. I didn't drink though. It was offered to me. They don't know I'm an alcoholic. I declined but it wasn't with as much confidence as I wish I had. I guess that makes me feel better though because if I was too confident about it I wouldn't be accepting the fact that I do have a problem over which I have no control.

I'm happy to still be sober and happy that I was able to enjoy my time with my friends today. I hope I can continue to be aware of my own triggers and desires. I know that I have an idea in my mind of what drinking alcohol is that is very different from the reality of what drinking is in my life. In my mind its beautiful and fun but in reality its sickness and chaos. I know I'm living something better now.

Thanks for listening!
I like the phrase "living something better' - so true.

The last time I had that situation I played out the movie - the one of me laughing and chatting and enjoying my friends and a couple glasses of wine, that ends up with me on the couch sucking down as much poison as my body can take. Makes it somewhat easier in the moment to pass the booze up - not that it's so easy.

Congrats on surfing the urge. Stay strong.

- the obstacle is the path -
Old 08-29-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno I would have had much conviction with saying no either July, not after a month or so....

I'm glad you got throuygh today but maybe it's best to not to bite off more than you can chew...it's ok not to put yourself in temptations way, not until you feel stronger and sure.

No need to be a hermit tho - think about other social things you can do that don't involve alcohol?

D
Old 08-29-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go 72413!!!!, I agree with D, but am so glad that you refrained. I know what it's like to through a month away. Although it's a month, it's a month!!!!!!!
That's nothing to ignore
Old 08-29-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I do try to stay out of situations where there is alcohol but it wasn't a gathering that I was thinking there would definitely be alcohol there nor was it the center of the gathering like it sometimes is at a bbq or a fancy evening party... When I thought about it before I thought there could be alcohol but there was no reason there had to be alcohol either (the hostess doesn't drink either). One of the other guests brought the wine which was fine but it wasn't like a situation in which drinking was a part of the gathering... does that make sense? I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are definite situations I avoid because I know there will be alcohol and that it will be central to the situation but there are other situations where alcohol might be there and be secondary to the situation. The former is sober suicide the later seems more like living with temptation. I've been feeling good lately but I'm also very conscious of sobriety being number one for me so thank you for reminding me to stay out of situations where I might lose control.

I want to build my sobriety on a firm foundation and I think coming here and posting helps me to do that and to reflect on all that I've gone through recently.

Thanks everyone!