So I drink too much, at least I don't do hard drugs

Old 08-29-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I drink too much, at least I don't do hard drugs

Yeah right!!

- the obstacle is the path -
Old 08-29-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool chart, but I wonder how its creator arrived at the figures? For example, heroin is bad news but I suspect tobacco kills hundreds, maybe thousands of times more people and destroys many more lives. I do agree though that alcohol is the worst of all drugs, in large part because it's so accepted by so many societies.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Cool chart, but I wonder how its creator arrived at the figures? For example, heroin is bad news but I suspect tobacco kills hundreds, maybe thousands of times more people and destroys many more lives. I do agree though that alcohol is the worst of all drugs, in large part because it's so accepted by so many societies.
It's a study that Vale cites in his Kick the Drink book.

I think alcohol also is there because of all the things you don't necessarily associate with it immediately - I work in criminal justice and I'd say that 85-95% of all crimes where there are victims involve alcohol. From domestic violence, robberies, fights on the street, not to mention the DWIs that ruin so many people's lives - booze is by rule almost always present.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Would harm to users include one of the most horrible deaths there is to have. Last I heard, a couple months ago was 70,000 died in the US each year as a result of alcohol, probably 1/2 suicides. Not many death certificates say alcohol as a reason.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lancet put alcohol as the most destructive and damaging drug to mankind. Think it's everything that goes with it, the list is endless, the violence/health/days lost at work/crime/could go on and on. My good freind works in an inner London hospital and told me alcohol related incidents that turn up at the hospital is just overwhelming .
Old 08-29-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Interesting post! Thanks for sharing.
I was thinking about something like this recently; that alcohol is a drug. I'd been telling myself it was "okay" to use it because it was legal and so much a part of an accepted part of culture. But for me, it's bad news. Alcohol is sh*t.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very interesting and enlightening post Lessgravity. Thnx
Old 08-29-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeh..when i visited amsterdam all those 24 yrs ago..it showed a leaflet wiv alcohell and ciggies were worse death rates ...just goes to show...if governments are making tax...its probably the worse thang in the world xx cleo xxxx
Old 08-29-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mushrooms it is, then. (kidding...)
Old 08-29-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am just surprised to see pot on the chart with victims...maybe from people driving stoned?
Old 08-29-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovered

What is "harm"? Even jail visits that cost taxpayer money is harm. Do they mean direct harm where the user physically hurts another person? Vague...
Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Be better made it funny. Seriously though its absurd that it is a "recreational legal" drug. I ve wished it was outlawed since childhood. It's caused A LOT of destruction in my life long before I was ever a user. 4 days in to being a prior user and ain't lookin back!! Thanks for the support and info.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is absurd that it is legal when so many other drugs (thinking pot, really) are not. Just on a basic level, there is an amount of alcohol that you can ingest that will kill you, acutely. I don't know that there is an amount of marijuana you can ingest that will do that. (Of course, there is also an amount of caffeine you can ingest that will kill you too, so I'm not advocating this as a classification tool for drugs, I'm just throwing it out there.)
Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
What is "harm"? Even jail visits that cost taxpayer money is harm. Do they mean direct harm where the user physically hurts another person? Vague...
Drug harms in the UK: a multicriteria decision analysis : The Lancet
Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow. thank you for this graph.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For all that, I'm not in favor of banning alcohol. Many people use it socially and have no problems. I'd like to see the stigma removed from addiction and a greater awareness of the potential for abuse. But we should all have a choice to drink or not.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can't help thinking that ' I drink but don't take drugs' is a bit like saying ' I shoplift but I don't rob banks' - both are gonna bite you on the a$$
Old 08-29-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I am just surprised to see pot on the chart with victims...maybe from people driving stoned?
COPD, emphysema and other lung diseases too...some mental illness?

D
Old 08-30-2013, 12:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
COPD, emphysema and other lung diseases too...some mental illness?

D
Cancer too, it appears. A couple kinds of cancer that affect males are 2x-3x more prevalent among pot smokers. And as you point out, COPD and other lung ailments as well as mental illness.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I 100% agree that alcohol should never be banned - less because some people "use" it well (I'd argue that 5-10% of the people I know who drink do so - not that everyone is an addict but most people have more than a couple stories of regrettable nights and ugly situations) - but because the banning of any/all substances in our Western cultures leads to the current situation re: narcotic drugs and the infamous prohibition period - it just creates a dangerous and powerful criminal underculture.