O/T: Job Interview and Moment of Clarity

Old 08-29-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

O/T: Job Interview and Moment of Clarity

I've been looking for a different job for some time now, and between there not being a lot that looks good and never hearing ANYTHING back from the majority of places I DID apply to, I was excited as all get out to have a phone interview for one that sounded like it could work. Unfortunately, it was only PT, but I thought well, it might be worth it to take that and cut my hours at my existing job, and just wait for a FT spot to open up.

Two phone interviews. All sounds good. The interviewer has told me there are no weekend hours involved. (One of my main reasons for wanting to change jobs is I have had ENOUGH of weekend/holiday hours.) A live interview is scheduled for today. After filling out more paperwork, my prospective boss comes to get me and we head off to her lair. We are maybe 5 minutes into the interview and she makes reference to the alternate-weekend work schedule. Wait, what? Phone interview girl told me NO WEEKEND HOURS. Long and the short of it, there ARE weekend hours, and that is a dealbreaker for me, so I tell the woman this, politely thank her for her time and cut the interview short, so as not to waste her time or mine.

Now here is where it gets good: I'm in my car, driving home, and I start in. Gosh, she seemed kind of nice...she did say she was hoping to work on changing the weekend schedule to be less often...should I have stayed for the whole interview anyway? Maybe it could have worked out. Maybe I somehow magically wouldn't hate working weekends if I worked here....and on and on.

I had pretty much concluded that I had done a BAD thing by ending the interview, and then I had an SR(R)-influenced moment of clarity--I did NOT want to work weekends, I did NOT want a PT job, and in fact THERE WAS NOT ONE THING ABOUT THE JOB THAT WAS ACTUALLY WHAT I WANTED! But yet I was all caught up in the possibilities, the potential, what it could/might/possibly turn into somewhere down the line, how I could MAKE IT WORK!! Never mind what it really truly was, right this moment.

Wowie zowie, does that sound familiar to anyone here?

So. That was today's revelation. I thank all of you here for helping me get to this point, and I hope you have as good of a laugh as I did when I realized what I was doing on the ride home!!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good move, Honeypig!!

Sounds like there is a new sheriff in towne......

dandylion
Old 08-29-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. Great and empowering!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know, dandylion, it's scary when you realize how pervasive that mindset is, seeing everything thru the lens of what it could be rather than what it is....

But it's a great feeling to start to catch yourself at it and know that now that you can SEE it, you can start to dig it out by the roots.

Thanks for the funny "sheriff" comment!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a great share!!!! It's a perfect example of how our recoveries trickle down into our everyday life, outside of just dealing with addiction.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good job!! Amazing what happens when we start being able to really SEE.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You were doing with a job what so many of us do with men: looking at what it could BECOME instead of what it IS. Good for you for recognizing it so quickly!
Old 08-30-2013, 02:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamsofSerenity View Post
You were doing with a job what so many of us do with men: looking at what it could BECOME instead of what it IS. Good for you for recognizing it so quickly!
Ha, and I have done this w/men, w/friends, w/jobs, with so many things over the years, DOS! The world is starting to look a whole different way to me these days. I'm still early on in this recovery process, but it's nice to be able to see the improvement every once in a while.

I want to say again just how much everyone at SR has contributed to such steps forward that I have been able to take. Reading and participating here has just been HUGE for me and I'm so grateful for all who share.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Pat yourself on the back real good!!!
I would probably also on the way home have wondered if I had hurt the employers feelings by cutting the interview short...