Notices

I'm not recovered, but my journey started today.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm not recovered, but my journey started today.

Technically, I'm a relapsed alcoholic. Anywhere between 18-24 beers an evening, solidly for the last God knows how long.

I have finally realized that this is controlling my life. When you get to the point that something interferes with "drinkin time", and you get anxious about it... you have an issue. I know that. I'm sure you all know, I'm preaching to the choir.

Today my wife and I went to the MD. I want to quit and I'm going to quit. But I'm NOT going through the DT's again. I did that before, thus the medical help. Wife had NO idea how serious withdrawals could be. The Dr. didn't want to give me a Benzo with the idea I could hammer down a case and eat one, so we all agreed to a plan. It's a step down plan. I start today with 18. Each day, I lose one. I go back to him in two weeks. I'm confident I can do this, by God I want to do this. I want this. But I cannot experience what I went through before. It was sooo bad.

The real problem I have right now, is I don't want to know how bad I am. Blood results are gonna be terrible, and I know it. I find this information as negative. It's a "LOOK WHAT YOU DID" kinda thing. Just wanna quit. I'll put it down and let it go. To me, this is just fodder for the wife to carry in her purse and say "YOU HAD X" I know it's bad. Hell, you can't cover up 10 years of drinking. In two weeks, I get to face the firing squad.

I'm not one to give advice (yet) on how to handle your issue, but see a doctor. The withdrawal symptoms can kill you. My doctor told me today he's seen it. Liver was so bad, everything they gave him went to nothing.

I say all of this to introduce myself. I'm a tech guy and I don't know that AA is my source of help, but I have found a lot of assurance and comfort here. This may become my home.

I also found out that its amazing what your wife will cover up for your dumb alcoholic ass. There's a whole lot of self hate yet to come.

Four dogs. Pappillion, Basset Hound, Golden Retriever and Turd-ass Wiener dog mix.

Thanks for reading. Love to all.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, dogman! You will find a lot of support here.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. I wish you success on your taper. I just got here yesterday and am a techy too.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DogMan - and congrats on your decision

D
Old 08-28-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If the tapering method doesn't work (it never worked for me), you might consider inpatient detox. That's the route I finally took. They monitor your vital signs several times a day, so you won't go through what you went through trying to detox on your own. I was inside for six days, with meds to help the withdrawals, classes on coping skills to ward off cravings, and a lot of face-to-face support. I highly recommend it.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you joined the family. There's so much support here. I depend on SR every day to help me get thru the day as happily as possible.

PS, I love your user name. What are your dogs' names?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Kuddos on seeing a doctor before withdrawal, but I wonder if a different doctor might help you a tad more than recommending a one beer a night taper program?

Do you think you can taper? Does that mean just 17 beers tonight, or 23 instead of 24?

I couldn't do that. And for this beer head, my wicked cold turkey detoxification showed me just how bad I had gotten and the ill I experienced in a way helps keep me sober. I also sought medical help but still ended upthe hospital for 10 days.

If AA isn't for you (and how would you know?), there are other tapering programs out there like Rational Recovery or SMART. I couldn't do it alone so I went the AA route.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello DogMan! It was controlling my life too - I never made a move without it in the end. When I found SR I was still drinking for a while - but I was gathering the courage to stop. Reading all the great information and support here made me strong and determined.

You will have the life you were meant to DogMan. You will be free.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

DogMan

You've found the right place and we'll help you with that countdown and cheer you on! This place is a great source and information and you won't find better people elsewhere.

It's a true family, glad that you're now a part of it!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR ,Dogman.
Glad you found this site. Hope you'll visit often.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Dogman!

As others have said, I can relate to what you said about alcohol controlling your life. It sure was like that for me.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Basset Hound - Peanut, Fat Dog, Fatness, Fatty
Golden Retriever - Lady Belle, Belle, Brown Dog
Pappillion - Colonel
Wiener Mix - Bear, turd face, turdy, turd dog, bear turd.

I have a knack for making nick names for my dogs.

As for the taper down, yes I believe I can do this. I don't have the time or money to do an inpatient detox, so this is my only option. As long as I don't have to re-live the loud music from the next room over and scary faces waking me up, the insomnia etc... this is the route I want.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by TheDogMan View Post
Basset Hound - Peanut, Fat Dog, Fatness, Fatty
Golden Retriever - Lady Belle, Belle, Brown Dog
Pappillion - Colonel
Wiener Mix - Bear, turd face, turdy, turd dog, bear turd.

I have a knack for making nick names for my dogs.

As for the taper down, yes I believe I can do this. I don't have the time or money to do an inpatient detox, so this is my only option. As long as I don't have to re-live the loud music from the next room over and scary faces waking me up, the insomnia etc... this is the route I want.
AAAHHH my dog is turd or turdy or turdmister. Welcome to SR Dogman. I didn't taper so I have no advice on that. Fatty is the husband.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheDogMan View Post
There's a whole lot of self hate yet to come.
And a whole lot of forgiveness, too.

You can do it. Check in every day. I made it part of my sobriety plan. SR is a wonderful community.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard and best wishes on your road to recovery.

I tapered successfully and still had withdrawal symptoms while tapering.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

May I recommend a program for your spouse - something to help her as well - its a hard road to go down alone

Perhaps she could check into the site too? There are some great resources for family members as well on this site
Old 08-28-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome DogMan!
Glad you are here!
Check in often, we're here!!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Please do daily post for your countdown...we are all counting. I hope when you get to the last one you can say goodbye to it all. Welcome..this really helps.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Dogman, welcome. I tapered down also. It worked for me. I was concerned about the severity of the withdrawals also. I believe the taper allowed me to withdraw safely. I am glad you are going to the dr. There are many different ways to quit. For me, tapering along with online support, research and some in-person meetings all helped me to quit. Getting close to 3 and 1/2 years now. It's really about wanting it more than anything. You can do this. I'm with ya.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

I sincerely wish you luck!