Notices

Products that contain alcohol

Old 08-28-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Products that contain alcohol

Hi,

I was wondering about something. How far do you take it when it comes to completely letting go of alcohol?

So far I haven't used any products that contain alcohol, but for example the mouthwash that I used to use contains 20% alcohol. Now I don't swallow it, but you still get really small amounts of it in your system (according to the site of the product).

Personally I consider avoiding these type of products as taking it too far. It has nothing to do with drinking and acting on addiction.

Except... when that small amount of alcohol can trigger the addiction. Then I would make an effort to stay away from everything that contains alcohol as much as possible. Only when it's absolutely necessary (medical procedures for example, or wound cleaning).

What are your thoughts on and experiences with this?
Old 08-28-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a good point! The one thing that springs to mind is Bach's Flower Remedies - I know the 'Rescue Remedy' is based in brandy (or used to be)
Old 08-28-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I started off being fairly happy go lucky but as my recovery got more and more precious to me I got more cautious.

I was especially cautious in my first year - even now I tend to be pretty cautious - I use a non alcoholic mouthwash where possible and still do not cook with alcohol for example or knowingly eat foods cooked with alcohol.

In the end it's a personal decision, whatever you feel comfortable with really...naturally if you feel the use of anything to be especially triggering, I'd discontinue it's use.

D
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me it has more to do with mental triggers than the physical craving being triggered. For example, I can have cholcolates with alcohol in them but cannot have any sauce cooked with wine or sherry, even if the alcohol is 'cooked out' because the flavour of wine triggers me terribly.
I use homeopathic medicines, most of which are alcohol based. I mix them in a little boiling water to help evaporate the alcohol before I drink them. I doubt that all the alcohol is removed, though.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I find it best to stay away from any amount of alcohol that gives me enough of a response to feel it. It's that first warm slip that will get me going again. So, no Nyquil, but vanilla extract in my cocoa is OK.

May as well go with alcohol free mouthwash, it's readily available. I don't cook with wine anymore...like someone above mentioned, the flavor of wine does get me going. Hated to do it, but no more rum balls or bourbon balls for me.

I can't eat liquor filled chocolates, that is too much for me. I am bizarrely sensitive to alcohol, it really takes only a teaspoon to make me get that slippery feeling.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I don't take communion wine at church.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

For about the first six months i had an attiude of not worring much about stuff like that but as time has gone on i've become a bit more precious over it .

I think the time i had 1L of rum and rasin ice cream wich was 3% rum and got that tingle in the back of my head and i was violently sick decided it .

So it now seems i respond badly to it and i'm not going to go out of my way finding out which things in which ammounts set me off !

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-28-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I don't quite yet understand why we aren't supposed to use anything with alcohol in teeny amounts and I've been thinking about this because, Bachs Rescue Remedy is an absolute Godsend for my anxiety. I only use 4 drops.

Is it because it triggers a craving , or because it keeps our brains and bodies from healing even in what would be considered negligible amounts ?

I had a sauce made with wine yesterday at a restaurant and wasn't triggered, but I wondered if I was somehow unknowingly sabotaging my very precious sobriety.

Any advice is so much appreciated.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

My husband used to be amazed that I would drink a 12 pack plus in one sitting but if I was dying from a cold and couldn't breathe you couldn't get me to take Nyquil. Go figure.

I would not have a problem eating something that had alcohol as long as it was cooked off.

I think that as long as I get no effect from it I wouldn't have a problem. I don't ever want to feel that plastic and false sense of happiness ever again. I prefer the real deal in sobriety.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alpha - if the rescue remedy isn't triggering cravings, then I wouldn't worry
Old 08-28-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all.

Regarding cooking with alcohol, keep in mind that often quite a percentage of the alcohol remains:

Cooking with alcohol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll just go for avoiding alcohol as much as I can and be cautious.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is a great thread!! I am in my second year of sobriety and recently took cough syrup that had alcohol in it...it was a generic brand and I did not realize it had alcohol until after I bought it...it did not trigger anything at all and I decided not to be paranoid about it. It helped calm my cough. I still have most of the bottle left.

I agree with wine and cooking...wine was my passion and that would just be too tempting!!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You know I was thinking about this last night (strange). I had made a side salad to go with dinner and SO bought Red Wine, Vinegar and Olive Oil dressing to go with it. I was hesitant to put it on my salad. Than I started thinking about cold medicines, mouth wash, and wine based sauces and it was freaking me out. I wasn't a wine drinker and actually my SO forbid me to drink wine as I become quite a nasty drunk off of it. I did end up putting the dressing on my salad liberally and it didn't trigger any cravings. I don't know if I would attempt to use alcohol based products on my trigger days though.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ya know I used to roll my eyes a bit when I read posts like this thinking people were overreacting but somehow I have started to differentiate alcoholism only in the sense of physical dependence vs. psychological dependence. I did not suffer any physical symptoms of withdrawal...not that I am aware of..when I sobered. Therefore I guess I'm not so cautious when it comes to mouthwash or food that is cooked wine.

I struggle with nicotine dependence (smoking). I am physically AND psychologically addicted to nicotine. Fortunately, I don't think there are products with trace amounts of nicotine (food etc)..I may be wrong. Once I have kicked nicotine...no way in hell would I dabble with anything containing nicotine.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Except... when that small amount of alcohol can trigger the addiction. Then I would make an effort to stay away from everything that contains alcohol as much as possible. Only when it's absolutely necessary (medical procedures for example, or wound cleaning).

What are your thoughts on and experiences with this?[/QUOTE]

I think I agree that only if it triggers an addictive reaction would i stay away from a product. I use hand sanitizer daily and it is LOADED with alcohol. Doesn't bother me. The smell is a bit strong but it doesnt make me want to drink, quite the opposite.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I avoided anything with any trace of alcohol for about two years after I quit. Probably a throwback to when in rehab, they required zero alcohol content in anything. Now I don't pay attention to alcohol content in everyday stuff. I have nyquil in my cupboard, rubbing alcohol, that kind of stuff.
I could never, ever have just plain alcohol (wine, beer, spirits) in my house though.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
AA member

I take my sobriety very seriously,I stay away from anything containing Alcohol.

Bach Rescue Remedy would certainly be a big no no for an Alcoholic.

I wouldn't worry about hand sanitiser,but anything I eat or drink I certainly worry about.

No way do I ever want to revisit the place I was in before I got sober.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
I struggle with nicotine dependence (smoking). I am physically AND psychologically addicted to nicotine. Fortunately, I don't think there are products with trace amounts of nicotine (food etc)..I may be wrong. Once I have kicked nicotine...no way in hell would I dabble with anything containing nicotine.
Nuudawn, your post reminded me of an article I read once about how nicotine is prevalent in several foods including tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, cauliflower, and green peppers... Apparently many plants produce nicotine as a natural pesticide. I have also heard of people smoking tomato leaves when hard up for tobacco...

New England Journal of Medicine: The Nicotine Content of Common Vegetables

Food for thought...
Old 08-28-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have mixed feelings.I never got drunk off mouthwash or ate so much red wine sauce so as to be drunk. However, I am now more cautious as do not really want any association with alcohol and don't like the smell anymore.

Interesting topic-my feelings have changed over time.I cancelled my attendance late notice at a dinner party last week as the meal was coq au vin made with 2 bottles of wine
Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EndGame

Even trace amounts of alcohol can produce an enzyme that the liver converts to acetate which, in turn activates pleasure centers in the brain. Acetate has recently been implicated in stimulating alcohol cravings among alcoholics. Even products such as hand sanitizers can produce acetate, since the skin is not an effective barrier against alcohol.

If you're in a position in which you are required to take regular UAs, current technology can measure acetate levels, and you'll be regarded as having given a dirty urine, even when you didn't drink.

The increase of acetate levels in the brains of heavy drinkers partly accounts for cravings in sobriety since acetate is not immediately flushed from the system.