Notices

Struggling

Old 08-28-2013, 02:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling

Hey there.I'm new to this site and into my first night of sobriety, and I'm honestly struggling. I'm clock watching, not tired and cannot stop thinking about how good a glass of wine would be right now. I don't want to slip, and I know the first night sill be the hardest.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Stay strong. Remember why you are getting sober.
Welcome to SR.
Keep posting - you can get past this!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there! Do something to occupy your mind until you get sleepy. Your booze brain will soon give up. You'll be so proud of yourself in the morning.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you! I'm trying to occupy myself, finding it difficult though!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you tried Bejewled Blitz on fb ? It used to keep me going for ages (highly addictive) and each game last one minute. At the moment, I'm hooked on 'words of wonder'. Bizarrely, I never used to play computer games lol
Old 08-28-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think almost everyone here can recognize your situation. In hindsight one or a few nights of missed sleep won't be important. I'm 2 weeks sober now and had trouble sleeping in the beginning. But it's only a really short period of time and it seems much worse than it is.

You'll be sleeping well again very soon. Even better. You sleep much better when you're sober.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It certainly is. I'm only on day three but sleep is coming easier now. I know how it is. Even when you get to sleep you may wake up a lot but that will get better too. Just remember it wont last forever. Eating something sweet. If you like milk thats good too. You really can do this.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome and try to remember to try NOT think about drinking. Keep the mind occupied with other thoughts and this too will pass. Number one for being sober is being honest with ourselves. Remember when helps a lot of folks about what we’re leaving behind. I needed to remind myself that if I didn’t pick up the first drinkthat I would not have to get sober AGAIN. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm living with people who drink, and I'm sitting around while they have a drink and it's making it very hard.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Chelle, welcome .Congrats on making a start on getting sober. I used to find walking a massive help during those first few days and nights. It distracted me, stopped me thinking of drinking as much and the exercise made me feel tired. It gets easier with every day. Wishing you well.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Chelle, even though you're around people who are drinking, you can still choose to just not take that first sip ever again. Once you make that permanent decision, it will be easier in all circumstances.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Chelle, welcome, congrats on your decision to get sober.
My partner drinks and it was really hard that first night. I just stayed on here. Eat something, drink something non alcoholic and keep in mind your reasons for wanting to stop when you feel the anxiety brewing. Try to find something else to occupy your mind.
I remember one persons response to me was "my reward to myself was letting my head hit the pillow at night sober"...helped me but that night it wasn't reward it was just relief that I'd gone one night without a drink. Now I'm just over 2 wks in, the going gets easier as time goes on. You can get through this!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think I want a jigsaw puzzle. Nothing is more absorbing than trying to find a piece. (takes your mind off drinking!)
Old 08-28-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Two ideas when this situation comes again. Watch your roommates get dumber and dumber and say, "Thank God that's not me." Then imagine dragging yourself out of bed and all the associated physical and psychological feelings.

Congrats on day one! Going into day two on your clock