My Week From Hell

Old 08-27-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Week From Hell

So it's been a week since my hus was arrested for DUI, and a week since my last drink. I have battling my emotions all week. I've been frightened, anxious, depressed, worried, and embarrassed. As of now, it seems that no one has found out. There has been nothing in the papers. As of today, my husband has not lost his job, thank God. Of course I am reciting the serenity prayer and not looking past today, but it's been a quiet few days, which is very comforting. I am cautiously optimistic that this may go under the community radar, and I am feeling like I can breathe a little better.

I want to thank everyone that's been so kind and supportive on this site. I really appreciate the feedback from all who have been there. All the insight and putting things in perspective REALLY, REALLY helped me, and I am so grateful to have found this.

I am also proud to say that it's been a whole week since I had a drink. Initially I was too shell shocked to even think about alcohol. When I finally realized that I hadn't had anything, it was about five days after. It's been years since I've managed to put a week together. I'm proud of myself for getting through this sh**** week without alcohol.

Now I plan on stringing together another week, a month, a year. Of course, I can't possibly look that far ahead without my AV saying, What? Never drink again? How horrible!!

So far I am ignoring that little voice. It has led me astray many, many times.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jules

Good job on a week! Just take it a day at a time. When I started I if I thought too far in advance I would get freaked out. Like "what about New Years....what will I do then" and it'd be months away. Events have come and gone and I have come to realize, not everyone one is so focused on drinking.......it was just me. My daily habits are what really got me.

Congrats! Keep it up its so worth it!!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Yes, one day at a time. That's all you need to worry about right now. (((Hugs)))
Old 08-27-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Good Job!

. . . so . . . . what . . . . about . . . those . . . . meetings, huh?
Old 08-28-2013, 02:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LOL!!! That's my next step, Hammer
Old 08-28-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Celticgirl--I don't know if this will help or not---but, contemplate on the fact that the human body was constructed to experience joy and peace of mind without alcohol. Alcohol is very unnatural and shouldn't be there.

Remember when you were eight or 9yrs old--at least sometimes life was fresh and new and exciting and you enjoyed human connections and the ordinary things of life--the ups and downs without any alcohol to change your brain chemistry--it was all there, as intended, naturally. This tell you that life will be just as good as you ever want or need.
Just think about this. Maybe you can draw reassurance from this.

dandylion
Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dandylion, that is so funny. I was thinking this the other day, about all those emotions we have when we're children. I remember having the best times in my life - swimming in the ocean and lakes, playing in the woods, riding bikes, listening to music, always totally sober. I also remembered being excited about a cold can of grape soda and thinking that was the best thing ever.

It will be ten days tomorrow since I drank. This is longest I have gone without a drink (except during two pregnancies, the last one 13 years ago) since a two-week period in 1994.

I am determined to find that kind of joy and peace in my life without anything clouding it. Looking forward to spending some sober time with my husband and kids this weekend, living in the moment and really experiencing everything. I haven't thought much about drinking either - when I feel that starting to come to the forefront of my mind, I'm getting pretty good at ignoring it and staying busy.