Notices

A Plan

Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Plan

I guess I need a plan. So far my only plan is to drink the two bottles of wine I have in the house before I quit. One is a relatively expensive bottle that I purchased for a special occasion. Ironic that the special occasion may be to celebrate my decision to stop drinking. I suppose I should set a quit date and continue to check out AA meetings.

Do you all have other suggestions??? I really am not sure how to go about this. I'm still trying to admit to myself that I need to stop.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not trying to be a smart guy, but I think the best plan would be to not drink those two bottles and start today Petra.

the rest of your life can start today - why wait?

D
Old 08-27-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you really do want to quit, why not make the special occasion giving away the expensive bottle (as well as the other) to a good friend who is able to drink responsibly? Your friend will be appreciative and the symbolism of the gesture might be just the confidence boost that you need to make it through the first, difficult days.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by PetraD View Post
I guess I need a plan. So far my only plan is to drink the two bottles of wine I have in the house before I quit.
You might want to take that plan back to the drawing board for revision. A plan to quit shouldn't contain drinking.

If would be a great way to get the upper hand on your addiction if gift that wine away as suggested and show you are serious about this.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4Surf4Life View Post
If you really do want to quit, why not make the special occasion giving away the expensive bottle (as well as the other) to a good friend who is able to drink responsibly?
I like this idea. Good luck, Petra.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Just remember Petra, many people want to quit tomorrow. The only thing you can do is quit today because tomorrow never comes. Today is all we have. Perhaps today is the day to start. You either start today or you don't. Perhaps tomorrow will become today but that's never a given. Don't live in tomorrow, live in today because today is all we have.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm not ready yet. I'm in gathering mode. I can't just quit right now, today. What will withdrawal be like? Will I be cranky, irritable? Will I get the shakes? Will I cry?? What am I going to do instead of drinking in the evenings? How will I relax and unwind? Do I tell my friends - those who drink an those who don't? Will they stop liking me? How do I tell my husband that I think I have a drinking problem even though I have told him before? Do I tell my kids? Do I tell my mom, my brother, my drinking buddy? Am I really an alcoholic or am I just going through a little phase right now? I only drink at night and sometimes, I don't drink at all. Can I really stop? Do I really want to?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What, why, where, when, how, OOOOOOHHHHH NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO! Relax Petra! You're making yourself nuts with all of these questions and fears.

The reason that you are feeling so suddenly frantic is because your alcoholic voice (AV), that little (or big) voice in your head that encourages you to drink, is aware that you might be shutting the liquor delivery down, and is starting to do some damage control by making you doubt yourself.

There must be a reason, or reasons, why you have decided to quit drinking. That's what you should be focusing on. Believe me, your AV is going to shift into high gear to try to convince you that your fine! You can handle it! Maybe just slow down, or switch to wine, or only drink after 6:00, or on alternate days or blah blah blah blah blah. Anything to keep the alcohol delivery service going. Your two bottles of wine that you must drink before you can quit can easily turn to two more, and on and on. This is a disease of MORE.

If you absolutely have to drink that wine, well, we can't stop you. It's just that we've all been there. At some point, you will either put down the glass, or lose the battle, along with your family, your dignity, your job, your freedom, your sanity and finally your life. The people on this forum are an incredible resource in your battle for a sober life. You found the site, now use it. I did it, and if I can, believe me, anyone can. Good luck Petra. Keep coming back!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I'm not ready yet. I'm in gathering mode. I can't just quit right now, today. What will withdrawal be like? Will I be cranky, irritable? Will I get the shakes? Will I cry?? What am I going to do instead of drinking in the evenings? How will I relax and unwind? Do I tell my friends - those who drink an those who don't? Will they stop liking me? How do I tell my husband that I think I have a drinking problem even though I have told him before? Do I tell my kids? Do I tell my mom, my brother, my drinking buddy? Am I really an alcoholic or am I just going through a little phase right now? I only drink at night and sometimes, I don't drink at all. Can I really stop? Do I really want to?
Don't complicate it. I always made things complicated and needed to learn to simplify everything.

At the end of the day it came down to me wanting to be sober more than I wanted to be drunk. I jsut had to get to that point. And you need to find your point.

Posting and reading here is a great start .
Old 08-27-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've lost count of the times I decided to drink that 'good' bottle of wine (or three) and that would be the last drink for me EVER. it did not work for me ever. On day 2 now.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

My addiction fought like a wildcat Petra - it gave me all those questions and more.
It's not easy - but it gets harder still every week we wait.

We wouldn't steer you wrong or tell you lies - you can do this

we live our lives one day at a time - we can stay sober on a daily basis too - leave tomorrow until tomorrow, for now

I hope you'll decide to join us

D
Old 08-27-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Standing on the diving board, icy cold water below, there are a hundred reasons to hesitate and delay.

But if you know the dive has to be made, close your eyes and plunge right in.

I found that the water wasn't so bad after all!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Can I really stop? Do I really want to?
1) yes 2) that's probably why you're here

Who to confide in will fall into place and make sense as you take it a day at a time. You should probably also see your doctor for the physical concerns.

You are new like me. I don't know how many stories you've read on this forum, but if you're having one of those "can't sleep because I didn't drink" nights, just sit and read (and read and read). In fact, I would dedicate an hour a day to peruse the forum. More if you have time. I saw my story over and over again in other people's stories. I was overwhelmed by it at first, but now it feels like a warm mug of hot cider on a snowy day.

My gut instinct says - yes - you really want to do this. My heart says, you can.

Keep us posted.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Deckard, but I'm not diving in to icy cold water! A cool pool of relief, a refreshing dip in cool waters, but icy cold water??? no way! i'm more of the warm bath of calm or something.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Procrastinating my sober date is what led me to my current dilemmas. The time is now if you are serious about quitting. I'm rooting for you
Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hmm, perhaps I could have been more clear... When I go swimming I really dislike initially getting in the cold water. There is always that moment of steeling myself. But then, surprisingly quickly, I adjust to the temperature. I don't even think about it. I just enjoy swimming, the freedom, the peace. For me quitting was just like that. The anticipation and was far worse than the actual experience.

Like I said, the water's fine, come on in.

OK, I think I have taken this analogy as far as it will go tonight!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by longbeachone View Post
There must be a reason, or reasons, why you have decided to quit drinking. That's what you should be focusing on. Believe me, your AV is going to shift into high gear to try to convince you that your fine! You can handle it! Maybe just slow down, or switch to wine, or only drink after 6:00, or on alternate days or blah blah blah blah blah. Anything to keep the alcohol delivery service going. Your two bottles of wine that you must drink before you can quit can easily turn to two more, and on and on. This is a disease of MORE.

If you absolutely have to drink that wine, well, we can't stop you. It's just that we've all been there. At some point, you will either put down the glass, or lose the battle, along with your family, your dignity, your job, your freedom, your sanity and finally your life. The people on this forum are an incredible resource in your battle for a sober life. You found the site, now use it. I did it, and if I can, believe me, anyone can. Good luck Petra. Keep coming back!
Well Said! Great follow-up post!!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The first part of the plan is to want to stop drinking. You fears and worries will still be there tomorrow. Why not just stop now? Tomorrow never comes.

I got rid of all alcohol in the house,stocked up on non alco drinks and treat food, cancelled all plans and stayed at home. Don't worry about what others think -this is about you.

Drinking 2 bottles of wine as a 'last' go is not a good idea. Why put off till tomorrow what you can start today.

Maybe plan toget to anAA meeting or just stick around SR.

You have to want to quit no matter how scared you are,For me, nothing was more scary than the thought of carrying on drinking forever andwhat would happen
Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Petra, welcome. There are stages of readiness to quitting. Google it. It's a thought process. Stick around the forums.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Easy does it, give yourself a break and just decide to stay sober for yourself, just for Today! One day then another keep reching out and before you know it you' will have a MONTH! You are worth it! This is how i got 20 months sobet and it feels SO awesome!!!