New and lost

Old 08-27-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and lost

Hi everyone I'm not sure how to start this but I'll give it a shot. I am 23 years old and so is my husband. We've been together since middle school and once he turned 18 he started drinking. At first it wasn't much of a problem and I didn't have a problem with it.

Over the years his drinking got worse. Flash forward may of this year we finally got married. After we got married his drinking was worse than ever. He recently lost his mom due to alcoholism and I think that's what sent him over the edge.

He finally admitted he had a problem so I looked up some rehab facilities. He was able to get into detox for a week, went to visit him once when he was in there. He looked good, was gaining weight and whatnot. Then one day I hear a knock on the door.

It turns out they discharged him because his insurance wouldn't cover the residential so he became outpatient which he is currently right now. He was 17 days sober until last night. He told me he bought vodka and didn't know why he did it. I thought the classes would work but maybe it's just hasn't been that long for it to sink in. He didn't go to his classes today because he said they would kick him out if they smelt vodka on his breath.

I just don't know what to do. I'm trying to be strong but I don't think I can handle it again. They offer al-anon and other classes for the family and I haven't been yet, I guess I'm just too scared to go. I plan on trying to go this Friday, I know it would help me to feel not so alone...

I can go on and on but I don't want this to be long. So I'll stop here. Thanks for taking the time to read this if you made it this far.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, dixiecup. Yes, go to Al-Anon and any other family support classes offered to you. The support is very valuable, and this is a very big deal as well as a life changer and relationship breaker for most folks.

In the meantime, keep reading here. Check out the alcoholism forum...great insight into the minds of alcoholics and what they expereince.

Check out our "stickeys" at the top of our forum home page. Lots of great reading there.

And try to take everything one day, or even one hour, at a time. Helps us keep focused on what we have control over (ourselves) and what we don't (everyone else).

Peace,
~T
Old 08-27-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Take advantage of the AlAnon meetings. It can be so scary to walk into that first meeting, but you will quickly find yourself among people who get what you're going through. Read the sticky's at the top of this page. Educate yourself about this disease. Learn to set boundaries about what you will accept in your life. Learn the 3 C's: You didn't Cause it, can't Cure it, and can't Control it. Your AH is responsible for himself, but you have to be responsible for YOU...learn to take care of you.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Yep. We have pretty good . . . no, make that PRETTY GREAT . . . Alanon here in Texas.

I do the Dallas/Collin County circles, and Longview.

Great, Great, Great (you follow I think pretty well of it?) Stuff.

You find your area on here? >>>

http://texas-al-anon.org/meetings/
Old 08-28-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Remember, that in addition to outpatient--AA meetings are available 24/7. Some people, esp. in early recovery, will go to many, many meetings just to keep from picking up that bottle. He could also have a sponsor. AA and sponsor can help him manage---You are NOT equipped to do it--nor, should you.

Yes, the alanon meetings will be a great move for you.

dandylion