Acceptance

Old 08-27-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Acceptance

Acceptance

From Each Day a New Beginning

Acceptance is not submission; it is acknowledgment of the facts of a situation. Then deciding what you're going to do about it.
—Kathleen Casey Theisen

Recovery offers us courage to make choices about the events of our lives. Passive compliance with whatever is occurring need no longer dominate our pattern of behavior. Powerlessly watching our lives go by was common for many of us, and our feelings of powerlessness escalated the more idle we were.

Today, action is called for, thoughtful action in response to the situations begging for our attention. Recovery's greatest gift is the courage to take action, to make decisions that will benefit us as well as the people who are close to us. Courage is the byproduct of our spiritual progress, courage to accept what we cannot change, believing that all will be well, courage to change in ourselves what we do have control over.

An exhilaration about life accompanies the taking of action. The spell that idleness casts over us is broken, and subsequent actions are even easier to take. Clearly, making a choice and acting on it is healthful. The program has given us the tools to do both.

Decisions will be called for today. I will be patient with myself, and thoughtful. I will listen closely to the guidance that comes from those around me.

From Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women by Karen Casey © 1982, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Early in recovery I heard people talk about the 3 A's (nope not their addicts, lol)

Awareness

Acceptance

Action

It was, in a way, 3 stages of finding recovery. First I became aware of my sons addiction, there was no more hiding in denial, it was there staring me in the face and I didn't like it one bit. It scared the heck out of me, like looking at the devil himself.

Acceptance was harder, I thought that to accept was to condone...oh how wrong I was. Acceptance hurt my heart but it was when I stopped beating myself up for that which was not mine to control. My son was an addict and there wasn't a darn thing on earth I could do about it.

Action took me to the bookstore to buy Codependent No More. Actually I knocked over an entire display and felt obliged to buy a copy. Accident? I think not. And action took me to my first meeting, which took me to finding a sponsor and learning to work 12 wonderful steps that literally saved my life.

Until I could accept the seriousness of my situation, until I could accept that I was truly powerless over my son's addiction, until I found acceptance, I remained stuck in the pain.

I am grateful today for all those who went before me, shining their light so I could follow. I am grateful to be alive.

Hugs
Old 08-27-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Ann! xo
Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ann.....like you....acceptance was the key for me. Acceptance allowed me lots of opportunities for growth.

Acceptance that my son was addicted.
Acceptance that his addiction was out of my control.
Acceptance that I had choices....many of which I didn't like very much.
Acceptance that I also had "issues"....lol
Acceptance that I cannot control other people
Acceptance that I had important lessons to learn
Acceptance that my HP, in His infinite wisdom, knew that I needed to be presented with the same challenges over and over and over again......until I figured things out.
Acceptance that change was possible......even at my age!

Yes yes.....acceptance was a big factor in my own recovery.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 08-27-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Acceptance that I was powerless over other people was my biggest struggle. I really needed to learn how to stop trying to controll what I wanted. Today, I carefully check my motives because some small part of me....still thinks I can change the outcome....like if I can only find the right words......kind of thinking still exists but my awareness is helping me accept my powerlessness.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks Ann that was so true xxoo
Old 08-27-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Acceptance that my son's bottom may be lower than I imagine, and homelessness may be the path he chooses. Acceptance that he may not outlive his addiction. Acceptance that I cannot fix it, and only he can decide when to end it. Acceptance that my dreams of him is dead, life will never be the same again, and its time for a new dream. Acceptance that my son is a liar and may be a criminal and jail may be just what the doctor ordered. Acceptance that God has given me my life to live and I have make the most out of the cards I have been dealt.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Acceptance that everything I have done in the past is now DONE.
Acceptance that each individual must live life through their own eyes. My reality is not theirs.
Acceptance that God has a plan.
Period.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Acceptance that others may choose paths that we think are
destructive or hurting or lead to nowhere (or death), and
that control is but a frightful illusion----as well as a dead end.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Another acceptance for me was Acceptance that life didn't always have fairytale endings. A good home and a loving family did not ensure recovery from addictions.

Acceptance that I didn't have all the answers...hell, I didn't have any of the answers.

Acceptance that my son's life was out of my control.

Acceptance that I did not have the power over life and death.

Yes, that was a lot of acceptance for one tired mama.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have alot to add to the acceptance list

acceptance that i cant yell,scream,threat,treat,help my son with his addiction
acceptance that his path in life was his choice nothing i did or did not do lead him to addiciton
acceptance that whatever happens will happen with or without me
Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Acceptance.......Accepting that change is often necessary, can be positive and a chance to grow in a healthier way!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Accepting blame for my own decisions instead of constantly trying to shift it onto someone else.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
Acceptance.......Accepting that change is often necessary, can be positive and a chance to grow in a healthier way!
That's a biggie, LMN. I struggled with change, still do, but today I accept that change is God's way of leading me to where i need to go. Life is ever changing, as it should me.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Acceptance of the unknown was a big one for me.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The topic of "Acceptance" always, always, catches my eye. Learning about acceptance (and denial) saved my sanity. Thanks for posting this, Ann.

Here's the link to another article/thread about acceptance that I really like, for anyone interested: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...cceptance.html