Notices

Happily sober... until someone tries to convert to religion.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happily sober... until someone tries to convert to religion.

Hi folks. I know this is not really about religion or anti-religion this place, but I felt like sharing a little bit of my day. I was feeling fine and I have a new neighbour who is very religious. The problem is that her approach to strangers is offering them bibles and telling them to read it, "it would change their lives".

Well, as the atheist/anti-religious-type I felt I understood psychology again even better once more. I told her I don't have a bible, which is an odd question out of the blue. The look on her face was dissatisfied and she told me to wait and she'll get me a bible. Ok, 5minutes of my time, no big deal.

But then... Starts the forceful approach. She brought a little dog with her and lifted the dog up as it was jesus speaking. Yep. Some blabbering about God's word and an arrogant comment to read it as if I'd have nothing better to do. So totally in her own religion-world mentally that maybe she didn't even notice me.

Rarely is the time I give religions any thought, but when I see these nutcases go to people and act rude, it just reinforces the resolve to be atheist for life. Never would I want to end up like them, rude and dumb like that. Thanks for reading...
Old 08-27-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Idiot!

I totally agree. Why do they feel the need to ram their beliefs down others' throats?

I find it incredibly bad mannered and arrogant. It's easy if it's someone random who approaches you in the street you can just walk on by, but I suppose you have to tread a bit more carefully when it's a neighbour. That said, I wouldn't take any of it. You've already been a lot more patient than I would have been.

Don't feel bad about giving them short shrift, whatever their "motives" may be, if they behave the way described or the way I have experienced in the past they are the ones who have forgotten the normal rules of polite social interaction.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah I agree. It is a true crime to force own (especially extreme) beliefs down others' throats. I think it often does more harm than good.

And since I've build up my own beliefs and it has been working well do far, and I enjoy the worldview, accepting that mistakes are a part of learning... I don't need some lowgrade mumbojumbo from anyone. Just an honest opinion.

Thanks ChopperTS.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Got it,

Wow, so you can make a sunrise/sunset--hats off sir!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

These types of conversations rarely accomplish anything.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you were upset Unixber but I aspire to a state of live and let live.
I try not to let others beliefs upset me, or let my beliefs upset others.

It's a good way to be.

Please everyone - remember our SR rules.

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
D
Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I try to remember that the person is only trying to pass on what has helped them in their life. If I don't want to hear it, then I simply say "I don't like to discuss religion."

Any beliefs can be "shoved down people's throats", even atheism.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I rarely, if ever, discuss politics or religion (especially with someone I've just met). Very few people are open-minded about those subjects.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I second jazzfish's comment. I also am aware that a tenet of many Christian religions is to proselytize because believing this one way is the only way to be "saved," and particularly committed people believe that their religion requires them to share their beliefs. This realization makes me more patient with this kind of behavior.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blackcat11 View Post
Wow, so you can make a sunrise/sunset--hats off sir!
<- maybe the globe and sun together can? The planet likes to rotate on its axis.

Yep I think this subject should be left alone. And it wasn't that big of a nuisance that person, just something I dislike people doing... I find it selfish.
Otherwise the person has good sides and may be a nice person. But I need to keep away from religion for my own mental health's sake.

So sorry if anyone finds this disturbing, offending etc...

It is true that any belief (including atheism) can be showed down people's throat. Sure, obviously. A knife can be used as a weapon or to cook food. It is all about the individual, not really what they believe in. I was maybe subtly stating that the person who came to me is a selfish a-hole, regardless of their belief. Thanks all for your patience. We can drop this subject here.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I say believe in yourself and that's all ill say lol (bet that's my shortest reply yet ha!!)
Old 08-27-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

JazzFish said EXACTLY what I was about to type....
Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No Emily, Mine is
Old 08-27-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoeM View Post
No Emily, Mine is
Wanna bet?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hear ya buddy. There's a "secular" section here to discuss recovery sans religion. As far as the rest of your statement, I can only point to Dee's warning. Most threads here that question religion are gone faster than a burp in a duststorm.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 13unluckyforsom View Post
Wanna bet?
Yep.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Bigsombrero - I'm loving that 'burp in a duststorm' phrase
Old 08-27-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoem View Post

yep.