Notices

I need help

Old 08-26-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help

Hello, I am new to this site, have been reading posts for about a week now. I have two young children, a wife who will be leaving me soon and I drink every night and on the weekends. I even drive my kids when I am drunk. I drink to cope with every day life situations. The only place I don't drink is at work, but I start as soon as I leave for the day. I think I hit rock bottom this past weekend. I came clean with my wife Friday night, even though she has suspected for a long time (I always just lie in the past), but she doesn't really believe me. Then Saturday night I was over at our neighbors with my wife and kids and I was drinking ice water while they were drinking wine and beer out on their back porch. That is when I excused myself to go the bathroom and went inside and tried to sneak a bottle of Vodka out of their liquor cabinet. Of course my neighbor saw me through the window and they all came running inside and caught me. My wife completely freaked and started hitting me in front of our kids and screamed at me to leave.

I am so ashamed and have no self control anymore. i know I am an alcoholic and have to stop now. I am runing my life and my relationship with my kids. Probably too late with my wife. I am going to my first AA meeting tonight. I know nothing about them and have no idea what to expect. How do they work? Do I just walk in and introduce myself?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Hi and welcome!

AA, you walk in and you can introduce yourself if you want. Then they will start the meeting and ask if there are newcomers, you can raise your hand and you will say your name and if you feel like it, that you're an alcoholic and are at your first meeting ever. Then listen, listen, listen!

You will probably have to change some things in your life, that early in sobriety there was no way I could hang with neighbors drinking beer and wine. You can do this!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I was in almost the same situation as you about 8 months ago FMK. I have a great family and a job and was drinking every night/all weekend and starting to have health concerns with my drinking too. The good news is that you can definitely turn this around. Detox can be tough so you may want to see your doctor too prior to quitting, especially if you were drinking every day. AA sounds like a great idea too. SR is a wonderful place to get advice and support, it is my main support method.

I do hope this is your "bottom" as it could get worse - much, much worse. As hard as that may be to comprehend, you still have your life, I'm assuming your job, your kids, and perhaps even a chance to save your marriage. If you keep digging ( and drinking ) you will most likely end up in some dark places you don't want to even imagine.

Get to that meeting tonight and just listen if you don't want to say anything. And think about seeing your doctor - they can be of great help as well.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have come to a great place for support. Let this be day one for you. It is - again -for me. I have somehow managed to get by without getting caught driving. Our lives would be forever changed if anything happened. You can do this. We are here for you. There are success stories and struggles. We know what its like to a a prisoner in a bottle. Don't drink after work today and try to sleep. It WILL get better.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

Good news that you are going to AA meeting,great advice to go and listen,listen for the similarities with others,not the differences.

Hope it goes well,come back and let us know how it went.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome to SR.
Stay strong. I hope you get something out of your meeting tonight.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

you can stop drinking and get a new,decent life again. It maybe too late for your wife,or maybe not. When she sees you getting sober she may realize there is a chance. You have to wantto get sober for you though. You children will reap the benefits of your sobriety from now on

I hope your meeting goes well. Good on you for taking such a positive step. let us know how it goes
Old 08-26-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ForMyKids99 - I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Hitting rock bottom is a horrible and wonderful experience all wrapped up in one. Horrible because you have hit an all time low. Wonderful because there is no way to go from here but up. I'm glad you are hear and that you recognize you have a problem. Are you still drinking or have you quit?
Old 08-26-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much for the warm welcome. I drank yesterday, not as much as usual I but still did. My wife was still really mad at me for what I did the night before at the neighbors and she took the kids out for the most of the day, leaving at home alone trying to deal with the reality of what I did. I have not had a drop today and am going to the meeting at 8:00 tonight. I have a doctor appointment thursday afternoon and I am a little concerned about the withdrawal affects. The few times I have gone a night or two without alcohol, I did get the chills and sweating all night long and I have read that there are medications that can help with that. That would mean 3 nights before seeing my doctor. Thank you all again and I really appreciate the advice and feedback.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am seeing my doc. Thursday as well. Will be the first time admitting to my problem. Hopefully no harm has been done and hopefully same for your. From reading here the body is amazing in it's recovery. I did experience shakes, chills and headache, ukky stomach but it subsided after a couple of days. I drank over hte weekend and I can still feel it. You know, I don't think we really know what NORMAL feels like. It's been several years, and as I get older I don't know if it's age or drinking. Please let us know how the meeting turns out. I have not gone to one, but I hear they can be very helpful. Please stay in touch and take care.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, Formykids! This is your chance to start a new, better life for yourself and for your family.
Looking forward to seeing more of you around here.

Junegirl
Old 08-26-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR formykids

let us know how the AA meeting goes

D
Old 08-26-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah formykids..how did it go? Please keep in touch. This forum really does help.