Notices

First steps

Old 08-26-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First steps

Hi,

I am new here. I just had a realization yesterday after another weekend of drinking that I have a problem. 10 years out of college, have been drinking since I was about 15. Not a daily or even weekly drinker, but I am still finding myself waking up a few times a year trying to piece the night together. I am afraid I am going to wind up dead or in jail or having hurt someone. I want to stop drinking. I want to go back to a life without alcohol.

Alcohol is so ubiquitous in society. I think this is going to be very hard. I have stopped drinking at times before, but never for good. I know the peer pressure will be there. But I want to quit.

Every really bad moment in my life was the result of drinking. Have to quit. Is AA the way to go? I am not very religious and worried about a stigma by going to a meeting, but would like to hear any input. Thanks for listening.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome to SR! It is great to have you. Congrats on admitting you have a problem. That is the first step.

There are other programs than AA - check out the Secular forum here on SR. I go to AA - it works for me, even if my higher power is not God the almighty.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Every really bad moment in my life was the result of drinking
That's how it was for me too. And the frequency of the bad moments will probably increase. I find AA very helpful, and I am not at all religious. I would advise investigating a few recovery methods and see if one resonates with you. You can always try another if you don't get what you expected.

Best of luck to you
Old 08-26-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words of support. I think I will give AA a shot.

It's very helpful to hear a couple of responses.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome CardHat. I'm so glad you're taking action. I wish I had back when I first knew I was in trouble.

It isn't how often you drink - but what it does to you when you do. I started out drinking the same way you are, and eventually it led me to complete dependency and an out of control life. I'm glad you're taking a look at the problems it's caused you. As for AA, it's the answer for many & I agree that you don't have to be religious to find it helpful. I personally do not attend meetings - I've just used SR. Whatever you decide, I'm glad you've reached out for help.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome CardHat. I'm so glad you're taking action. I wish I had back when I first knew I was in trouble.

It isn't how often you drink - but what it does to you when you do. I started out drinking the same way you are, and eventually it led me to complete dependency and an out of control life. I'm glad you're taking a look at the problems it's caused you. As for AA, it's the answer for many & I agree that you don't have to be religious to find it helpful. I personally do not attend meetings - I've just used SR. Whatever you decide, I'm glad you've reached out for help.
Thank you for your support. I am just shocked that I didn't have this realization earlier. I have had so many bad nights that have made me ashamed, but I thought it was just normal. It's been 15 years of this. This is only day 1 but I am glad I found you guys. It's helping already.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard CardHat - good to have you with us

D
Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

CardHat - Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-26-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by CardHat View Post
Hi,

I am new here. I just had a realization yesterday after another weekend of drinking that I have a problem. 10 years out of college, have been drinking since I was about 15. Not a daily or even weekly drinker, but I am still finding myself waking up a few times a year trying to piece the night together. I am afraid I am going to wind up dead or in jail or having hurt someone. I want to stop drinking. I want to go back to a life without alcohol.

Alcohol is so ubiquitous in society. I think this is going to be very hard. I have stopped drinking at times before, but never for good. I know the peer pressure will be there. But I want to quit.

Every really bad moment in my life was the result of drinking. Have to quit. Is AA the way to go? I am not very religious and worried about a stigma by going to a meeting, but would like to hear any input. Thanks for listening.
I am also new here and can totally relate to you. When you say every bad moment in your life has been caused by alcohol I can 100% agree. I am 9 days sober myself, also considering AA so will be reading your thread for advice. Good luck to you.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CardHat View Post
Hi,

Well, this is going to sound a little shallow, but in my 30+ years in NYC and other places (rehabs, etc) I have met some amazing people who remain friends.

I guarantee that the "peers" you will find in the drinking world cannot hold a candle to the "peers" you will meet in AA. And...they are sober.

Just remember that all you have to know about G** is that you are not "it".
Old 08-27-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noki View Post
I am also new here and can totally relate to you. When you say every bad moment in your life has been caused by alcohol I can 100% agree. I am 9 days sober myself, also considering AA so will be reading your thread for advice. Good luck to you.
Good luck to you too. I also have just realized that I haven't drank at family functions in my adult life. I always told them I didn't really drink, but actually I was just hiding it from them.

I honestly think for right now I am going to pass on AA and see if I can do it with a few friends I have talked to and with a place like SR. I just don't think I am ready for the meetings yet. I recognize that I have a problem, and I am ready to address it. The real test will be the cookouts, the parties, the weddings, the slow weekends etc but we can do it. One day at a time.

The positive thing is we have become aware of the problem. It's not at all too late for a positive change. Big weekend coming up. I am not going to drink. Let's get it done.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum CardHat, I myself have started the transformation from yesterday as well. I've had a challenging relationship with alcohol for the past decade on and off and I've found now that after a couple of bad weekend forays that I will not continue life like this. This past weekend was a bender from Friday evening till Sunday evening and yesterday i was very unproductive and my diet was nonexistent from the alcohol I consumed over the weekend. Welcome 2 the journey my enlightenment day is 8/26/2013 lets conquer this together. #Stayfocused
Old 08-27-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BLKDIESEL View Post
Welcome to the forum CardHat, I myself have started the transformation from yesterday as well. I've had a challenging relationship with alcohol for the past decade on and off and I've found now that after a couple of bad weekend forays that I will not continue life like this. This past weekend was a bender from Friday evening till Sunday evening and yesterday i was very unproductive and my diet was nonexistent from the alcohol I consumed over the weekend. Welcome 2 the journey my enlightenment day is 8/26/2013 lets conquer this together. #Stayfocused
Awesome. Glad to do this with you. I have already had one friend who also drinks too much laugh at me and my "epiphany" as he called it. We need to block out the negatives and stay focused and remember why we are doing this. 08/25/2013 was my day so we are right here together. There will be naysayers and obstacles but it can be done.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi. You’re correct it can be done if. You take a path and have to white knuckle it every day, be honest about your drinking, and can remember this period in the future. If you’re an alcoholic it’s a natural thing to want to drink then talk yourself into drinking and repeat this spiral over and over again. Read the posts on this forum and discover we are not that unique.
Very seldom does cutting back work for the long term work as we usually succumb and drink more. Forgetting the so called religious aspect, which is none, AA has worked for me and many millions of others for many years IF we work it. These forums are a great help for many especially in the beginning. Your choice and good luck.