Notices

Trying again

Old 08-26-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying again

It's been a while. But not between drinks, sadly. In fact I'm drinking right now and wishing I wasn't. I'm finding it harder and harder to stop. My question tonight has probably been asked and answered many times before so please forgive me BUT - I've been to see my doc and requested a script for Antabuse. He agreed it was worth a try so I have the script in my hot little hands but have yet to fill it. Why? Well mostly I'm scared but it also costs $80 (AUD) and I don't have the cash right now. Hmmmm funny how I can still fund my drinking.

Anyway - I am very keen to hear the good, bad and ugly stories from those who've tried this method. Please reply ASAP, at the end of my tether and I just want something to stick.

Many thanks in advance xxxx
Old 08-26-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If your doc thinks it's a good idea. Think about what the investment of $80 will save you in the long run if you no longer spend money on alcohol. Drinking is expensive!

I'd say do it. Your doc thought it was a good idea. Maybe you can borrow the cash from someone? I know I was very creative in getting money for booze so it should be possible.

And what about health insurance? Where I'm from it's mandatory and a long time ago I made the very wise decision to get the best insurance there is. It costs about $280 (US) a month but I get everything paid for, always, whatever I need, whenever I need it.

So maybe it's something you could look into on how that works in your country and what your options are. Having good insurance is a blessing.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

whats the alternative?

Whatever you do- do something?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to a path of sobriety that can be the wisest choice in our lives. Antabuse is effective if the directions are followed. Warning if not following directions you probably will always do so afterwards. In case you live through drinking with it in your system and you don’t die you may wish you did. Harsh I know but I’ve been in AA for years and the stories about abusing Antabuse are more than chilling. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I have no experience with Antabuse but I just wanted to say that I'm glad that you're trying again and are posting here.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi,
I used Antabuse when I stopped drinking (it was a requirement of the out-patient program I attended). I suffered no side effects, although some do.
Antabuse works on fear - if you have taken it, drinking alcohol can be fatal. It does nothing to assist with cravings or obsessing about drinking. It depends on you taking it as directed. Many people plan a relapse and simply stop taking the antabuse for a few days beforehand.

I would use it again because it made me feel like I was at least taking some concrete step on the path to sobriety and that helped me to not feel so despondent. In my opinion it is for short-term use (perhaps only on weekends, or if going to a party) and cannot replace therapy, lifestyle changes and whatever other recovery tools you use.

If you use it, please follow the directions very carefully!
Old 08-26-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Alcohol probably ended up costing you more. I know I spent a lot of money.
Good luck with it!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

never tried Antabuse but good to see you back Dangar

D