Notices

Struggling with what decisions to make

Old 08-26-2013, 02:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Struggling with what decisions to make

This is my first time to seek help online for my drinking.

I've been experiencing excessive intake of alcohol and having close friends not know how to help anymore.

I feel worthless and helpless in my marriage. I'm not working because I can't seem to get myself to a treatment center or AA meeting.

I see my personality changing a lot like having outbursts with my husband and feeling angry all the time. He has lost most of his patience with my anxieties and panic disorder.

I would really like to connect with people who can understand how hard it is to go through this and what is needed to get better.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you joined the family.

I understand how hard this can be. I struggled for almost two years before I could finally stop drinking for good. All I can say is don't give up! Keep trying til you get it. A very wise lady who used to be here always said: when you want to stay sober more than you want to drink, then you'll be able to stop drinking.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Glad you are here. I am now over two years sober but struggled for years to moderate my use, and years trying on and off to "quit".

There is a better life without the self doubt and negative emotions that being in the grip of alcohol can bring
Old 08-26-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This place is awesome. There is so much support and good advice here. Make today your day 1. You can do it at least just for today
Old 08-26-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Lostgirl As Addi says - this place is phenomenal
Old 08-26-2013, 03:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome lostgirl
Old 08-26-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Lostgirl - it's my day one today and the first time I've posted too. Good luck xx
Old 08-26-2013, 03:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to a life that can become beautiful with much happiness IF you can stop drinking. I needed, after 2 years of trying my way, which never worked, to get honest with myself. Next I was following directions from those sober for years in AA, don’t pick up the first drink and I won’t have to get sober again. Overall getting to what a lot of people call sober, depending on the individual, isn’t too bad if we don’t succumb to the first few days of withdrawal. I then started to follow directions/suggestions which resulted in a lot of years of not drinking.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome lost girl - you'll find a lot of support & ideas here

you had two identical threads so I merged them into one for you

D
Old 08-26-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi D...please bear with me. I'm still not used to using this web page. I'm trying to familarize myself to all the functions and terms. Thank you and others that quickly responded to my first email. Lost girl
Old 08-26-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You've been told that things will get better if..., but I think it will be better for you to take a can-do attitute. Things will get better when...

The panic and shame and anxiety will lift when you decide for yourself that you have chosen to quit drinking for good. It will be then that you will be able to look forward and start making the life, free of addiction, that you know you deserve.

You get to decide when this will be. Since our perception of time says it is always 'now', you are completely free and entitled to do this right now! You can do it! Believe in yourself and you will succeed. Onward!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Everyone here can give you so much support and advice but you have to want it deep down inside you - I 'wanted' to stop drinking for ages but I didn't want it enough - I hadn't hit my rock bottom - I'm not suggesting you should wait to get to that stage but we can only hold your hand on this journey - you have to do the walking. Maybe speak with your doctor that would be my first suggestion to you.

Secondly you need to do it for yourself because you deserve so much more than what your doing to yourself.

I hope you do well - we are always here - or someone is lol
Old 08-26-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi my new friends

I was a bad girl tonight. I had 4 beers. But I think that is a whole lot better than a case or a whole bottle.

. " lost girl"
Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

LostGirl, what is your plan? I think we all need one if we are going to get and stay sober. Are you ready to make your plan about continuing to use alcohol?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You're not worthless. You're a human being who is going through something many of us have gone through or are going through. One thing I discovered when I stopped drinking and using drugs is that my fear and anxiety was greatly reduced. It did take a while but it has made a real difference. Coming to this forum is a wonderful fist step. You should be proud of yourself for reaching out because it's not an easy thing to do. The people here have been so very helpful to my recovery. I think SR will be a valuable resource for you as well.

Hang in there. Thank you for your post and please keep posting.