Another friend

Old 08-25-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another friend

I have a concern about a friend of mine who is a very heavy drinker... He has been this way the entire time I've known him and his drinking has cost him his relationship very recently. He told my husband that he might go out of town for a week or so to clean out. That is, he'd be up in the mountains at a friend's place. He has stopped drinking for a month a couple of times in the past, but this time it's been years since his last break and he has mentioned getting the shakes lately. I'm kind of concerned about potential withdrawal symptoms, since he'll be far away from help. Although a very good friend will be there. I've only recently learned of the dangers of withdrawals, anyone else out there think this is risky? Thank you
Old 08-25-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. It is very risky.
Glad he will be with another friend, but it probably isn't advisable to be in the middle of nowhere without medical attention close by.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, it makes me nervous... I wish he'd stay close. As of now, I'm not even supposed to know he confided in my husband. What is withdrawal like? What are some of the risks? I know what my own withdrawal was like, it was unpleasant and I felt terrible all week, but I'm afraid my friend is in much deeper than I am
Old 08-26-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

None of us here can provide you with medical advice. I can tell you that alcohol withdrawal is one of, if not the most, dangerous withdrawal. Each person is different, however, but we always recommend calling 911 if needed.

My stepson has gone through WD from alcohol twice--in hospitals. The first time, he was drunk when they admitted him. After about 24 hours, he began to hallucinate and be combative to the extent that he had to be tied to the bed. Once the hallucinations were over, then the diarrhea began, and he had accumulated a lot of ascites fluid because his liver was damaged. They removed about 1.5 liters of fluid from his abdominal cavity. It was more than a week in the hospital going through all of this.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah I just can't deal with knowing he's up there far away going through WD, and all the secrecy. Although I totally understand the urge to do it that way. Hopefully I can get my husband to take my words and talk to him about this. Thanks guys