Notices

90 days today and first drinking dream last night

Old 08-25-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

90 days today and first drinking dream last night

I've made it, 90 days. I wouldn't trade one day for anything. Oddly enough I had my first drinking dream last night. There was alcohol all around, I was at a gathering. I was telling people that I don't drink anymore and some of them looked at me and asked "Never?" I answered, no, just for today.

There was a container on a table, it didn't look like beer or smell like beer and I picked it up and took a couple of swigs. I immediately knew it was beer. I was devastated. For me, it didn't matter that I was unaware, I had taken alcohol into my body and knew that I was then going to be back at Day 1. 90 Days of hard work and effort out the window. I can't describe the relief I felt when I woke up.

Two lessons learned. I will never drink something at a gathering if I'm unsure if it has alcohol. The second is that I will hold the horror that I felt in that dream near and dear to my heart because it's not something I ever want to experience when awake.

Today is a great day!
Old 08-25-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

90 days

Drinking dreams serve as a bit of a reminder don't they ?

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-25-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations! 90 days is phenomenal I bet you had that on your mind when you went to sleep and that's what the dream was about. Isn't it a fantastic feeling when you wake up and realise it was only a dream
Old 08-25-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Congratulations, LadyBlue! Here's to the next 90 days
Old 08-25-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 90 days LadyBlue. I had many dreams like that in the first couple of months of sobriety. I think it was my brain reminding me of how miserable i was and would be if i drank again. Have a great day.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 90 days but more importantly congratulations on being sober today : )

Old 08-25-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats LadyBlue!! Yeah, the drinking dreams are bizarre and I still get them from time to time. Waking up in a panic and already in my head trying to figure out how I am going to tell everyone I relapsed. They're frightening but, in a way, they keep me straight because that feeling of "Oh my god, what did I do??!!" I get upon waking and not realizing yet it was a dream is so awful I can't imagine experiencing it (again) in real life. Sounds like the same for you, as well as being aware of drinking accidentally. Both good warnings

Anyway, congrats on three months, I always look forward to reading your insightful posts, and here's to the next 90 for you!
Old 08-25-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
OX

Good going lady
Old 08-25-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

90 days....you must be thrilled. So happy for you.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hahahaaaaaaaaa, I just figured out why I had the dream too. I watched Flight with Denzel Washington last night. Go figure.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Thanks everyone!

This board and all of you have played a large part in my success. I can't be more thankful that I remembered this board and came back. Every day I learn something new here and get the chance to try to help others.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a great dream to have and to always remember the feelings you had. Way to go on 90!!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Way to go Lady!!!!!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome job on 90 days!!! I had a drinking dream last night...was SO relieved when I woke up. I think of it as I will dream of alcohol like I do of an ex...they are just in the memory file. And sounds like this one was just confirmation for you that you are happy where you are..sober and moving forward. That's just great!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I really love that 'memory file' idea Makes perfect sense x
Old 08-26-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yea Lady on your 90 days. This was a topic at my last AA meeting. It seems everyone has had a drinking dream (me included) and they definitely are horrifying. The good thing is that they are just dreams..
Old 08-26-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats, huge accomplishment!!! I was in a very similar scenario this last weekend, but I wasn't dreaming. I was at my sisters b/f's bday party and went to pick up my cup to take a drink, put my lips on it, tilted it back and got a big whiff of tequila right before I was about to take a drink. I was drinking redbull so they looked very similar to each other in the cup. I was literally shocked, a little shooken up, and just ended up leaving not too long after.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on 90 Says Lady!!!

...and I am glad you found your way back here too because your posts DO help others and are enlightening!!

Keep up the great work for yourself and others! It's a gift!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
I will never drink something at a gathering if I'm unsure if it has alcohol.
Congrats on 90 days! That is awesome.

One of my friends who has been sober for 26 years always had his wife take a sip of any drink he ordered to be sure it had no alcohol in it. There have been times when the drink was made with booze.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Nice work! Just wanted to comment because your first "drinking dream" was almost exactly like MY first drinking dream. I still remember it because I was so shaken. I was sitting at an outdoor patio table with old friends, and accidentally grabbed the wrong glass. I felt so tremendously terrible about it, I was nearly in tears even after waking up.

I think it's a good sign. You are guarding your sobriety like a watchdog and keeping vigilant. I would imagine whoever is guarding the crown jewels in London often dreams of them being stolen - but that's only because they are so meticulous and responsible! So you are also guarding your sobriety - your nightmare is just like anyone else's nightmare: losing something that means a lot to you.

It's a great sign your sobriety means so much.