Notices

Newbie with concerns

Old 08-25-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie with concerns

Hello everyone,

I'm 25, ex drug user. Been clean for many years now. I also had an alcohol problem which lasted a long time but I'm okay now, have basically been sober from alcohol for 4 years.

Wanted to join this forum because I don't know where my head is sometimes I'm messed up from past use. I'd like to meet others and find out about shared experiences.

There's alot of things I worry about, and what long term health concerns I may have to deal with now. There's alot of emotions/feeling in me I don't know where to begin with. All part of recovery I know. I think this forum is a good start.

Thanks,
Old 08-25-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Congratulations on stopping the drugs and alcohgol. I wonder if you've talked to your dr about your health concerns.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Jimmy,
Welcome to SR and congratulations on your years of living clean!

Why don't you hang around here for a while and post some of your questions? Maybe that will help you decide whether you need medical advice.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome!!
Old 08-25-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome!

Congratulations on stopping the drugs and alcohgol. I wonder if you've talked to your dr about your health concerns.
Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Hi Jimmy,
Welcome to SR and congratulations on your years of living clean!

Why don't you hang around here for a while and post some of your questions? Maybe that will help you decide whether you need medical advice.
Originally Posted by earthsteps View Post
Welcome!!
Thank you so much for the replies. I'm 100% drug free. Regarding alcohol, I'm totally changed with that too, I never as much as touched it in near four years, I did try a few non-alcoholic and low-alcoholic beers during this summer, I didn't see it as a problem. I know I'll never be 'a drinker' again. Back when I was in my late teens/early 20's there were times I'd have been on two bottles of whiskey a day. Even the thought of that makes me feel sick now.

I started taking hard drugs when I was very young, I lived part time in an abusive household and pretty much had them pushed on me from a young age. I'm really against drugs now, I resent a lot of the things happened over them, and I know myself I wouldn't relapse because I just associate them with some of the most horrible times of my life. I think here I'll maybe meet people with similar experiences so it'll be good to talk. I really hope I can help other too some way, even if it's as much as talking and sharing my past or giving tips.

I have seen doctors, although truth be told I've not had much help from them. I've developed some 'mental health' disorders which I put down to my past use, mostly anxiety related, I do have OCD also, very low self esteem, I get very, very worried about things and can be on edge a lot of the time. I'm convinced even though I'm clean from drugs now my past usage will come back to get me, like I won't get off 'scot free' and I'll get with some serious illness resulting from it. It took me half the day to build up the courage to look back at these replies as I didn't know what to expect but you have all been so kind. It means a lot.

Thanks all,
Old 08-25-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Jimmy

I think everyone, whether they have used drugs or alcohol excessively before or not, has anxieties over their health. Sober people aren't always the picture of mental health either. It may be that some of the things you are worried about are still part of the fall out from your drug use but it may well be normal life stuff. There are forums here for mental health and anxiety so I am sure you will find lot's of information and support here x
Old 08-25-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy to meet you Jimmy. I hope it'll help you to be part of SR. Glad you've stopped with the drugs & alcohol at such a young age.