Notices

Ended up in ER tonight...very scared!

Old 08-24-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ended up in ER tonight...very scared!

I have been on tramadol, flexiril and amoxicillin for 4 days now. The only side effects I was getting was lack of appetite an extreme dizziness.

Tonight I became easily agitated and started screaming at my b/f. Next thing I knew my throat started closing up and I literally couldn't breathe--it felt like I was breathing through a straw. I started shaking uncontrollably from head to toe and my chest felt heavy. I managed to gasp to my B/F "Can't breathe. Call 9-11). Well he just threw me in the car and raced me to ER to save time.

They put me on oxygen, and took blood and urine tests. Determined that I had allergic reaction to Tramadol and other meds told me to stop taking all meds. Can't even take Aleve for pain or sleeping pills. Absolutely will not let me take Melantonin or Valerian root for insomnia. It gets worse...

Said I have blood in my urine (more than a trace) and my kidneys weren't functioning normally. Also said blood sugar high and they suspect diabetes. Said my red blood count is high.

Surprise--my liver and heart are normal! But they are very concerned with kidneys. Gave me a shot for the anxiety attack and sent me home. Have to follow up in a couple days for more tests and may have to be on kidney meds the rest of my life. By the way, my dad died from kidney faiiure due to diabetes and he didn't drink or smoke. I am so scared and upset! I thought by quitting drinking I would be the picture of health by now. But oh no! I might have diabetes and failing kidneys. This sucks and I feel depression coming on, but no urges to drink at all. I am going to pray to God tonight. After all, his will be done...but I sure would like to live a sober, happy life for several years yet. BIG SIGH!
Old 08-24-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sure the fear must be great. I have fear over my physical health too.

I wish I could have not hurt my body so much.

I wish I wasn't so set on destroying myself. I wish I cared more for myself.

I wish I had the power to manage my emotions and my life and to take better care of myself.

I just didn't. From a very young age, I learned to drink, and that was it for me.

I was stuck in a pattern for most of my life of drinking alcohol to feel better, even though I knew it was hurting me. I drank carelessly. I hurt myself.

I'm going to the md this coming week with all sorts of fears.

All we can do is maintain our commitment to recovery at this point.

I hope you are feeling better, and your body will heal.

Prayers for your healing.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Eleni - Sorry to hear you've been through this Doesn't seem fair!
Glad you're home and am sure you'll soon be feeling loads better - at least they got to the bottom of it yeah? x
Old 08-25-2013, 01:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry you had to go through this Eleni. It may be a blessing in disguise though. At least now you know you have to be careful with meds because of your kidneys. I am sure this won't effect your happy sober life too At least you are being well looked after and being sober will only help improve things. My dad had kidney problems and he always told me I shouldn't drink or take ibuprofen, both of which I did frequently. I am sure things will improve for you soon x
Old 08-25-2013, 01:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you'll be feeling better soon.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Glad your okay, Penicillin does that to me, its scary.. I'm happy your home and ok! Feel better!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you went through this, it must have been such a scary thing to go through.

I hope that your kidneys improve. I was very close to kidney failure once due to medication...my GFR was 17 I believe...but my kidneys recovered to where my GFR is 37 at my last reading and I've been stable at this stage a good ten years now. I do take diuretics and try to avoid too much salt, but otherwise having CKD stage III hasn't had any other effect on my life.

I hope your kidneys will recover function too as your diabetes is brought under control. I am also sorry you have been diagnosed with that, too, but what a victory it is to remain sober in the face of such a stressful time!
Old 08-25-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear this. Just when you think you are being healthy...

Hope you get some positive news soon, and feel better.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i think that once you see your own doctor and nephrologist, you'll have a more clear picture of what treatment course is best.
Thankfully, you don't have alcohol in the mix at this time....it might have been worse.
hope you feel better, keep us posted.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Eleni. I’m also sorry with this turn of events in your life and with your determination you can pull through this fearful period. Years ago I was told that in general alcoholics can handle the big crises in our lives without drinking but I was warned about the “broken shoelace” that can trip us up. Hang on.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear you had such a scary experience Eleni. As others have mentioned, follow ups will hopefully give a more in depth look at how to bring everything back to normal. Your body is still healing from all those years of drinking. And you now have your sobriety which is huge to both your body and mind.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Eleni, I'm really sorry you are going through this. For sure, stopping drinking doesn't solve all of our problems, but it helps us to deal with them with a clear mind. Be grateful that you are sober now and you can work your way through this health problem and decide what is best for you to do.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Eleni,

So sorry that happened to you! Must have been scary as all hell !!

Glad you are home and hope you start feeling better!

Well, the small blessing is that you have a diagnosis which could have been stretched out a lot longer otherwise....

I am hoping a good MD and Nephrologist will help you with preventative and healing measures! The body is an amazing organ ~ and medical science has come so far!!

Keep up a good spirit of hope and quest for knowledge and know that we are all Thinking of you and praying for healing!!

Kat
Old 08-25-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! First time ever I had something like this happen to me. Very strange too because I had been on the drugs for 4 days and had no reaction. He thinks the kidneys have lower functioning due to all the Aleve I was taken. Am looking forward to gong to doc tomorrow to get more blood tests.

So far trying to deal with pain without using ANYTHING is making me a tad apprehensive, but will just try to take one day at a time, more like one hour at a time I have not eaten solid food in almost 5 days and the dr didn't say whether that was hurting me or not.

I am positive had I been consuming alcohol, things would have been much much worse. Just the first time I ever had gone through a medical emergency sober and it was sacriest thing ever.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR WELL WISHES AND I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Please do Eleni! Take care of yourself and it sounds like you did a great job handling this and caring for yourself Sober! Congratulations!!!!
Keep us posted!!!
Kat
Old 08-25-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Eleni so sorry to hear about this. I hope you feel better. Sending positive thoughts.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Now all I have to do is refrain from googling "blood in the urine" , "abornormal kidney tests" and "symptoms of diabetes." Praying this is just all temporary due to me exceeding the Aleve dosage (was taking 10-12 a day).
Old 08-25-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Eleni. With all your going through I want to say congratulations on one month sober!
Old 08-25-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh dear Eleni58. I am glad you made it to the hospital. I will be praying for you. Try not to think of what might happen. It's in God's hands.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Exactly, Deeker! I really should practice what I preach (i.e. let go and let God). The human body is absolutely remarkable at healing itself. Going through another test tonight--first night since I got sober with NO sleeping pills, NO pain pills, NO Aleve, NO nothing! Should be interesting. I plan on just reading until I fall asleep and not worry about what time it happens. Fortunately, I don't have a job I have to wake up to! Goodnight and sweet dreams all!