Notices

first post here....

Old 08-24-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first post here....

does anyone know when it is safe to start taking naltrexone..?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi chasington - that's something you really need to ask the Dr that prescribed it for you.

We can't give you medical advice here - it's against our rules.

D
Old 08-24-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

hi chasington! naltrexone is a common drug prescribed for alcohol and opioid dependence. talk to your doctor about it and other drugs such as Campral, topiramate, Antabuse, etc and see what both of you decide is best for your situation. each of these medications work in different ways so it's best to talk to your doctor who is familiar with your medical history.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

chasington - Welcome to SR!! As Dee mentioned, giving medical advice is against our rules but it's for good reason. Some medical advice is not so good.

I will tell you this. I was an RN, very good at my job, but got into opiates and wasn't so good at my job I lost that career, but I've been in recovery for over 6 years and I still know a lot of what I learned as a nurse.

I don't use that information here. For one reason, it's against the rules. For another, some of what I know would go over most people's head.

I will tell you this - there has been MANY a time, as an RN and even after my license lapsed and family/friends would ask me "what do I do about....?" I would tell them - see a doctor.

I was once on an antibiotic that said "do NOT drink alcohol". Well, gee, one of my vices just happened to be alcohol (then opiates, then crack, then recovery). I called the pharmacist and asked him exactly what this antibiotic plus alcohol would do to me. He asked if I knew about antubuse, and I did. He told me what all could happen, and let's just say, I chose NOT to drink.

My best recommendation is find a doctor you can be honest with. I did, though he knew some things about addiction, I was so darned honest, he often asked ME about it. It was a good relationship. He left the practice, got a new doctor and went through the whole thing with her...this is what I've abused, this is what I need (I have PTSD) and this is what I need you to ask me WTF is going on? if I ever ask for it.

I'm coming up on 6-1/2 years in recovery AND just recently quit smoking cigarettes.

Keep reading and posting, I never thought I'd be where I am. I'm not perfect, but I am grateful

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-25-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

No- but glad you are making changes and have found us at SR- we are family
Old 08-25-2013, 01:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you're here.