How to be supportive to alcoholic husband?

Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to be supportive to alcoholic husband?

I am new to this site and hope to find some solace. My husband starting going to a substance abuse counselor two months ago and has had a few small slip ups with drinking except for tonight. He clearly had more than he has has in the past 2 months and was easily angered and hateful. He instigating a fight and yelling in front our 7mth old baby. I stayed as calm as possible because you can't argue with a drunk. He accuses me of being a poor communicator, that I am not honest, I'd don't live in reality, and his list goes on and on. He has an aggressive personality and on many occasions he hears what he wants to hear (our marriage counselor and his substance abuse counselor)both called him out when he turned my words around. Anyway, I am trying to be supportive but Im tired of walking on eggshells. I don't like our baby around it and I can't leave. I make enough money to keep our home and bills up. We have no family that lives remotely close and my few friends I have around us don't know we are having these problems. How can I support someone who feels like the are right. Not to mention he only wants to see his substance abuse counselor and will not go to AA. He isn't following a program and has made it clear to me and counselor that he will continue to drink, but he thinks he will keep it in control. So unconventional and it seems like counselor is going along with it, unless this is her technique to getting him sober. Any advice???
Old 08-24-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm not sure why you cannot leave, Lynette, but it seems to me he has admitted to having no intention of stopping, which leaves you and your innocent baby victims in his path. You don't have to accept that at all.

...yelling in front our 7mth old baby.... He has an aggressive personality
It's one thing to stay and try to support or at least endure an alcoholic, it's another to stay when he is abusive to you in front of your child, which is abuse to her too.

It's entirely up to you to decide to stay or go but remember you are the voice of your child too, she cannot make safe decisions for herself.

I'm so sorry you are going through all this.

Hugs

Last edited by Ann; 08-24-2013 at 10:50 AM.