Notices

Old 08-23-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New member

Hello everyone.

I have chosen to be rid of alcohol. Embarrassment, guilt, surprising my boyfriend of 10 years has stuck by me. So Ian willing to do what it takes. I am even going to buy kudzu recovery to help with the cravings. I'm just wondering how everyone made it. My life is very boring so I will have to do something to replace the drinking. I look forward to meeting everyone
Old 08-23-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Livebetter

I think support is very important - I know you'll find a lot of support here - and a few ideas too...this is a great group

welcome!

D
Old 08-23-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am new, too.
I struggled with many addictions.
I can go a few months and then I am back into something else.
I have learned alot from lurking here.
Good luck.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both for the welcoming. I have seen a lot of information on here already I feel encouraged.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome! It is great to meet you, Livebetter
Old 08-23-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to a great place Livebetter!

Congratulations on your big decision to kick alcohol out of your life. Being here with us, you won't ever have to feel alone - we all understand how rough it is in the beginning. It gets better, so please be patient with yourself while you adjust. We know you can do it.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard and best wishes on your road to recovery!

I recommend eating 3 meals a day (don't skip meals as alcohol urges can mask for hunger and hunger can trigger alcohol urges). Foods I found helpful to reduce the cravings and eased withdrawal symptoms included celery, cucumbers, peanuts, milk, vegetable juice (such as V8), and raw honey. I did have an increased sweet tooth and heavily indulged in cookies and candy, but that sweet tooth has gone down considerably.

Another thing to help calm your nerves is to take Vitamin B1 and drink milk.

You may have trouble sleeping at first--I know I have! There are a variety of herbs and OTC meds to help with insomnia. But sleep as often and as much as you feel like it in the beginning--and don't feel guilty about it as your body needs extra sleep initially in order to heal.

The very first thing I did when I quit was read the Big Book from AA. I also pray to and talk with God alot--not only asking Him to give me the strength to remain sober, but to thank Him for getting me sober in the first place.

Finally, you should have a recovery plan (even if it's initially to simply to take one day at a time) and a network of support.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you joined the family!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome =]
Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

PS. You said your life is very boring so you will need to do something to replace the drinking. What worked for me was going to the library and getting a bunch of books. Reading is a great pastime. Also, start taking walks or exercising. What interests did you have before you started drinking? Maybe renew those interests.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you. I will sleep and eat regular meals. I heard that I will feel horrible in the beginning so I will use all the advice. My friend bought me 50 shades of grey I have read 3 books in my life due to my mind wondering so this will be my first challenge.

Thank you everyone
Old 08-23-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Elen I used to be very active and played sports but after my son college people were no longer interested so all of my friends go to bars and its just not fun anymore. I miss the adventure but to get my friends to have some fun also it almost impossible. So when you have nothing to look forward to alcohol become your best friend.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Livebetter, lots of great support and advice here. . What helped me the most in the beginning was having a good routine or daily plan for recovery. I made sure i ate healthy, exercised, read any information / books i could find on recovery which was inspiring and motivational for me. I read and then eventually posted on here too.

Also avoiding any places and people who may be a "trigger" for me to drink. I found the busier i was the less time i had to think or worry about drinking and that really helped. There is a chat room on this website also which you may find useful. People use it sometimes if they need instant support. Wishing you well.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Daily routine sounds like another great idea.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ThankS. I saw kudzu for around 10 on amazon. I didn't think about getting something prescribed to me.