Notices

Don't Feel too Good, any advice/experiences:)

Old 08-23-2013, 02:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't Feel too Good, any advice/experiences:)

Hi Guys!

Hope this post you all doing ok?

Well, it's my day 5 again, 3rd this year I think. I have been really trying, eg not drinking for a while then the old AV comes along and I end up having 2 glasses of wine. Most I have had on a binge this year is half a bottle of red. My husband keeps saying to not beat myself up as I keep trying.

Anyway, I am on my day 5 again but feel lousy this morning, minimal anxiety, but I feel sick and just not with it. I am not going to drink today, got loads to do, not stressful though.

Any advice experiences or just support would be great.

Jackie xx
Old 08-23-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My advice?

After 368 consecutive days of 100% sobriety in a row, and I say this with love, there is no "try."

There is only do, or do not.

Realize this, and you will find strength.

Good luck and God Bless
Old 08-23-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

2 glasses of wine?? half a bottle of red on a binge?? if I could maintain that for 7 months I don't think I would be posting on here!! my binges are bottles of wine 3 plus and what ever else I can get down my throat!! I think your husband is right you are way to hard on yourself!!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just keep trying......... it is like giving up smoking..... just keep trying and one day it will all fall into line... well that is what I tell myself anyway
Old 08-23-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses guys. I was drinking a bottle a night up until August 2012, something happened and I became aware of the potential problem that I had. Well, maybe not a bottle a night but defo 4 times a week.

During the past year looking back I seemed to have battled with this. There is so much going round in my head re drink that I don't feel free if that makes sense? I changed my lifestyle which has been productive. Do you think it's because I haven't got my mind round to stopping completely? Your thoughts and experiences are really appreciated.

Jackie xx
Old 08-23-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi JAC

I believe it's not actually the amount thats important...I think it's more how your drinking makes you feel - for some of us one or two glasses is enough to keep us enslaved and keep our minds foggy and our will weak.

It wasn't until I stopped drinking completely that I realised what a hold alcohol had on me and the way I thought. It was so sneaky I really had no idea.

I feel confident in suggesting you'll feel better in yourself if you gave it up completely Jackie

D
Old 08-23-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Jackie, I agree with what you've said, half a bottle doesn't sound like much, BUT...just the fact it's worrying you I think means you are worried about what it will lead to.....you've already said you are capable of drinking a bottle in one night on a regular basis.

I am lucky in some ways, I pretty much wasn't interested in alcohol until I was in my early thirties. I was the person we all wish we were, in that I'd have one drink on Christmas Day or New Year (if that), I think maybe a couple out with friends....I don't even remember drinking on my wedding night. I just didn't see the point of drinking more for me, personally....why would I want to lose control, I didn't like the taste...it just held no appeal. I cling to those memories now in my sobriety, that I can laugh, have fun and not feel 'odd' for not drinking. We all can!

The in between bits are a long story on why I started abusing alcohol, but fast forward and I know honestly, drinking means getting drunk now for me. If I had one glass now, let alone half a bottle, I'd be scared as hell it would make me want more, which I suspect has happened to you. My ex partner used to be lovely to me when I failed too, but now I look back at my first sober month in over 10 years, if that half bottle of wine is scaring you, you have every right to be afraid.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

sorry I was not trying to make your drinking sound irrelevant, but the uk guidelines are 5 drinks plus equals a binge... I agree with dee its not always about quantity and more the effect and how it makes you feel.!!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Guys

I am so grateful for all this feedback, it means a lot to me. I also never drank really until my early 30's then went mad (I have never blacked out though) my big problem was the anxiety it all caused. I have anxiety when I do drink, BAD anxiety even just after a couple of wines over 3 days and it is only a couple, I also have minor anxiety when I don't drink. Sometimes I think that the start of the heavy drinking really did it for me in my head, oh dear

I always seem to be looking for answers.

Jackie xx
Old 08-23-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JAC13 View Post
I always seem to be looking for answers.
Yep so did I Jackie, I kept looking for answers and moderation. When I decided and committed to not drink everything fell into place and I found the answer had been there all the time. I wish you well.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Hi Jackie, I agree with what you've said, half a bottle doesn't sound like much, BUT...just the fact it's worrying you I think means you are worried about what it will lead to.....you've already said you are capable of drinking a bottle in one night on a regular basis.

I am lucky in some ways, I pretty much wasn't interested in alcohol until I was in my early thirties. I was the person we all wish we were, in that I'd have one drink on Christmas Day or New Year (if that), I think maybe a couple out with friends....I don't even remember drinking on my wedding night. I just didn't see the point of drinking more for me, personally....why would I want to lose control, I didn't like the taste...it just held no appeal. I cling to those memories now in my sobriety, that I can laugh, have fun and not feel 'odd' for not drinking. We all can!

The in between bits are a long story on why I started abusing alcohol, but fast forward and I know honestly, drinking means getting drunk now for me. If I had one glass now, let alone half a bottle, I'd be scared as hell it would make me want more, which I suspect has happened to you. My ex partner used to be lovely to me when I failed too, but now I look back at my first sober month in over 10 years, if that half bottle of wine is scaring you, you have every right to be afraid.
+1 You quit because you know something isn't right with your drinking right? I kept going after I knew something was wrong. It has taken me 6 months to come back mentally. You don't sound like you went very far down that road. You are a lot smarter than me. There is nothing good down there.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I went through a period where I drank one regular sized bottle of red a night, and felt very prim and proud for my minimal intake. The funny thing was that I would spend an hour a day in Trader Joe's trying to find the wine with the highest alcohol content! (I think 18% was the highest I ever got). Games people play...
Old 08-23-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I know I won't drink today so I will be past my 5 days. What the rest of the next few weeks brings I don't know, but today I wont be drinking.

I have developed a sweet tooth over the past 6 months though, not for chocolate but sweets (candy)!

I think I just feel down today as my day 5 is pretty miserable
Old 08-23-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
...but the uk guidelines are 5 drinks plus equals a binge...
I believe the UK guidelines are that over 5 "units" (not drinks) in session is a binge. The UK defines a unit as 8 oz, so that would be about a pint and a half of 4% beer.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
+1 You quit because you know something isn't right with your drinking right? I kept going after I knew something was wrong. It has taken me 6 months to come back mentally. You don't sound like you went very far down that road. You are a lot smarter than me. There is nothing good down there.
I wish, Id stopped sooner Smarter. No, I drank heavily for the past 10 years. But yes, I knew 18 months into drinking, and those half bottles were edging up to full bottles.... something bad had a hold of me. I just blamed everyone else around me for being uptight and killjoys. The most I stopped was for 2 weeks, I think at that 18 month mark when I got scared (then promptly kidded myself and my ex if I could stop for 2 weeks, I was fine). Then another 2 weeks about 2005. Then 1 week in 2011, to fool myself I could moderate if I wanted to. When I read this back, it's crazy to think this was me. (I just had a little cry.)

4 weeks ago I called in sick for work...(I'm lucky to have skated on the edge of them not knowing I am alcoholic...I work in a boozy culture)...and something...just got a hold of me and I was ready to face I'd lost complete control of my life. That was the 26th of July and I haven't had a drink since.

I wanted to find out who the person was that i was meant to be when I was that non drinking 30 year old.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry Silentrun....my iPad predictive texted your name as 'Smarter!'
Old 08-23-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JAC13 View Post
Thanks everyone. I know I won't drink today so I will be past my 5 days. What the rest of the next few weeks brings I don't know, but today I wont be drinking.

I have developed a sweet tooth over the past 6 months though, not for chocolate but sweets (candy)!

I think I just feel down today as my day 5 is pretty miserable
I am glad you aren't drinking today! X

I feel like poo too, but I'm glad we all aren't drinking today and that is a bonus.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Yup 10 years. That's how long it took for me. Before that I turned 35 I couldn't even physically get drunk without getting sick. Somehow my body adapted.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think I should just stop thinking guys, it's giving me headache. I do however think though that when I don't allow booze it my life, it opens a door to everything the booze was keeping under control!

I have just eaten 2 choc bars though which has given me a bit of energy

Xx
Old 08-23-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anxiety was a huge issue for me, too. I struggled with it long before I began drinking and ironically the drinking made it so much worse. Know that you can get through Day 5 and that's what will make you stronger.