Notices

Triggers and the mind of an addict

Old 08-22-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Triggers and the mind of an addict

I was just relaxing in my room checking out Facebook and saw that one of my friends had checked in at a bar that I used to frequent. My mind immediately started working and I began to think about the great Scotch selection they have at this bar. My mouth literally started watering and I thought to myself "man I'd love a drink right now." I literally went from laying on the bed chilling out to craving a drink in about 10 seconds.
It's so strange to me the way my mind and addiction work. I'm early in my recovery from alcohol, but I remember when I got clean off drugs the triggers would come out of nowhere. I could be watching a movie that had drug use in it and I would immediately have the urge to go out and score and get high. Sometimes I would hear a song that I liked to listen to while I was on Ecstasy and I would actually feel high for a moment or two. I do remember that the longer I was clean the fewer and further between these sensations would occur. I hope it's the same with alcohol. But I know this fall there will be tons of triggers for me like watching football.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

With time those triggers go away. I never notice them now with close to four years. They actually went away around a year sober and just get fainter with time.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

*Everything* was a trigger for me because by the end, everything was a reason or an excuse to drink.

I learned that I didn't have to 'pull the trigger' - you will too Teddy

D
Old 08-22-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

I've mentally replaced the word "triggers" with "associations".

Triggers are an excuse to drink in the present. Associations conjure up memories that belong in the past.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I really like that natty. I definitely "Associate" a lot of things with drinking right now unfortunately.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by BigTeddy View Post
I definitely "Associate" a lot of things with drinking right now unfortunately.
In early recovery, try to avoid those associations as much a possible. It will spare you a lot of mental anguish.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nattythreads View Post
I've mentally replaced the word "triggers" with "associations".

Triggers are an excuse to drink in the present. Associations conjure up memories that belong in the past.
This is what I was going to say, but better said. That's going in my book of quotes

I saw all these associations as sober firsts. The first time you experience something sober, even if it is just a song, it will create an urge, but the next time it will be less or it won't be there at all. I made it into a bit of a game where I had to tick off my sober 'firsts'. A lot of it was basic stuff like foods I associated with alcohol, the smell of summer, or a place I used to drink in. Knowing that it would be easier next time made it easier to tolerate the craving. I did avoid certain things for a while though, best not to tackle it all at once.