Notices

I need help for my 8 yr old son

Old 08-22-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tkr

Exclamation I need help for my 8 yr old son

I recently relapsed, after almost 3 years of continued sobriety. I have a good support network and I am going to meetings daily. What can I do to help my child? He is in the temporary guardianship of my sister. He has been told that I used drugs and thinks I used because I did not want him around. I have reassured him that this is not the case, that I love him and I am doing everything I can to prevent it from happening again.

What help is out there for an 8 yr old to understand drug addiction when the adults in his life don't?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Counseling. Also, living a sober life and showing him by your actions that you mean business this time... they read our actions way more than our words (as we all should).
Old 08-22-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it's hard for anybody to understand drug addiction that hasn't been there.

Do what you can to show him how much you love him every day. Can you call him or visit him? Tell him you love him and miss him every time you talk to him.

Be as honest and open with him as you feel comfortable being. I know a lot of people try to shelter their kids from things, but I think kids can understand more than we give them credit for.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
tkr

Thank you! Actions do speak volumes. Fortunately, I can talk to my son and visit with him once a week. It will not be long before he will be home again. I know now (and have always known!) that my recovery has to come first.

But he will survive with or without alatot meetings...as long as I stay sober, NO MATTER WHAT!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
tkr

He is receiving counseling. I do not think his therapist understands drug addiction.