Notices

Struggling . . again . . with my job

Old 08-21-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling . . again . . with my job

I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record and I've know I've posted this boring topic before but I'm at a loss. I cannot figure out why I am making mistakes at work. I'm am trying so, so hard to slow down and concentrate and focus but I just seem to make mistakes no matter what. I know my bosses are getting frustrated. I'm getting frustrated and am scared to death.

I have been struggling with depression also. I made the mistake of fooling around with my anti-depressants so I know that is affecting me but my mistakes are all on me. You all have given me great advice and I hate coming back with the same story different day. I just am beside myself on how to overcome and be a productive employee.

I'm 60. I don't want to have to look for another job.

I've been praying and asking for help. Perhaps I'm not praying enough.

But the good news . . . I won't ever drink over this. I know drinking will just make things much, much worse.

No need to respond if you don't feel inclined. I just needed to get this out AGAIN.

Ugh. I feel so dumb.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sally,

What kind of mistakes are you making at work if you don't mind me asking? Maybe getting your anti-depressants under control with help with your concentration? I don't know how long you have been sober or if your sobriety has anything to do with it?

I am praying for you to. Hang in there and don't beat yourself up.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Serenity, I'm making careless mistakes. Like not proofreading my work and sending out letters with wrong dates and typos. Today I scheduled a meeting for my bosses and gave them the wrong address. It was a nightmare.

I know I need to slow down. I know I need to take deep breaths. But now I'm so freaked by all the past mistakes that I'm uptight and unsure of myself. It's a vicous cycle right now.

Thanks for your prayers. It will all work out. I just have to take some serious action and slow down and ask some people to check my work until I gain my confidence back.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sally,

When I've coached people who have worked for me, regarding similar situations, I've always given the following advice. If you're writing a letter, or really any kind of communication where typo's ect. cannot occur, get a draft as solid as possible. Put it aside, take a walk, come back and re read it. Keep your versions well organized as well.

If it is a critical piece of communication, have a colleague "Peer Review" it for you. Most people are happy to help a co-worker and you will return the favor.

Sometimes out of anxiety we all tend to want to Bang through a task and get it off our desk. Try to resist this urge. Take your time to do a good job. Make sure that you're managing your time wisely so that the majority of your work time is spend engaged. This will provide adequate time for your tasks.

Get the medications under control. Unless you went to medical school, passed your licensing exams and have a successfull practice, leave medication decisions up to your provider.

just my two cents. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Sally. I was totally out of whack when I gave up drinking. I definitely functioned better before, partly because I couldn't allow myself to mess up when I was drinking. But I am sure there is some cognitive stuff going on and mix it all up with the emotional upheaval and it makes for one big mess I have had a bit of fall out with this at work, most of which I wasn't really aware of but my boss has issues with me. My advice would be to go to them before they say anything to you. Explain you're having a hard time right now and that you are sorry for the mistakes and then just try to get by day by day. I am sure they will be understanding x
Old 08-21-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sally,

You must always proofread your work. I like your idea of having a coworker review your work prior to pushing it out. At least there are two eyes reviewing it which should help tremendously. I am an Executive Assistant and I work for the CEO and VP of a large franchise company. I know I have to double check and triple check my work as it is crucial in my line of work. You need to take it easy. You dwelling on all the past mistakes are probably making the situation worse. Lighten up, I know it is easier said than done especially due to the circumstances.

Slowing down is your best bet right now. I would rather have someone take a little bit to give me the right answers rather than having someone quickly give me the wrong answers.

Your right things will work themselves out. Wishing you the best.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SLB1968 View Post
Sally,

When I've coached people who have worked for me, regarding similar situations, I've always given the following advice. If you're writing a letter, or really any kind of communication where typo's ect. cannot occur, get a draft as solid as possible. Put it aside, take a walk, come back and re read it. Keep your versions well organized as well.

If it is a critical piece of communication, have a colleague "Peer Review" it for you. Most people are happy to help a co-worker and you will return the favor.

Sometimes out of anxiety we all tend to want to Bang through a task and get it off our desk. Try to resist this urge. Take your time to do a good job. Make sure that you're managing your time wisely so that the majority of your work time is spend engaged. This will provide adequate time for your tasks.
All of this is really good advice. I have asked people to "red pen" my work for errors. I have never had a problem with someone helping me.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all!!! Great advice. I work for two high maintenance attorneys who want things yesterday. The real problem is that there is way too much work for two paralegals to handle but it is what it is.

I know there are co-workers who would be happy to help me out. I would certainly help them.

Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh, Sally, I used to work for attorneys in another life. I swore I'd never go back! That is one tough job!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am wondering if your antidepressants or some other etiology are causing you to make mistakes. I would talk to your doctor about your symptoms. They may not be alcohol related at all.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sally, I do the same things, I even have an email from and angry client that I printed out and hung next to my computer as a reminder to proof proof proof. I have 3 people read over really important reports. The time thing has always added that extra pressure and usually ended up with mistakes being made. You are only human. Getting people to proof your stuff is great idea. Maybe don't allow other peoples stresses to infiltrate on your work. I have resolved to work hard on the finished product as fast as I can without making myself sick about it. It's easier said then done but being this sick about work isn't good either. Maybe looking for another job wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. Good luck! I feel for you.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Sally

Does your company have an Occupational Health Service who offer advice for employees with health problems ( depression in your case) which are impacting on work? If so, request that you be referred. They will recommend support measures/temporary adjustments to your work until your health has improved.

Have you discussed your difficulties with your employer? Individuals with depression often have difficulties with concentration. Perhaps you need to agree priorities with your manager at the moment, placing the focus on quality not quantity of work. Not forever, just until things settle down for you. You mention that the workload is excessive. Has a stress risk assessment been carried out? This can help to identify where the work stressors are and ensure support measures are adequate.

Methods of relaxation such as visualisation techniques may help you throughout the day and are often taught by counsellors ( I see you plan to talk to someone- good idea).

All the best.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Such great advice. Thank you everyone. I am going to make an appointment with our EAP. I also spoke to my HR director too although I did not elaborate on my depression issues. I'm definitely going to have people check ALL my work. Multi-tasking is a big part of my job and sometimes I have three different people giving me directions at once. I come home from work psychically and mentally exhausted. I will just have to have plans in place everyday. Thanks again. What a great forum this is.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sally, I just wanted to add one thing.

When I make a mistake at work, I get very anxious and it makes it much more likely that I will make another mistake. I'm not able to just 'shake it off' when I make a mistake, but I know that I can't carry it with me throughout the rest of the day.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sally...I understand what you are going through ...it happens to me as well and when I do make a mistake I beat myself up over it to no end. I can tell you one thing that really, really helps me is proper nutrition. When I give up sugar and flour and eat whole foods (one ingredient only..fruits, veggies, protein)..my concentration, energy and mood are much better. Just something to think about.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Sorry for the quickie but I'm in a hurry but had the same problem. I was told it is part of recovery and can go on for several years. P A W S Post Acute With drawl Syndrome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-ac...rawal_syndrome

Post-acute-withdrawal syndrome (PAWS), or the terms post-withdrawal syndrome, protracted withdrawal syndrome, prolonged withdrawal syndromes describe a set of persistent impairments that occur after withdrawal from alcohol, opiates, benzodiazepines, antidepressants and other substances.

I keep working on my mental acuity; SR participation is one tool. Reading, writing, meditating, puzzles, social activities, pet therapy, exercise, diet, proper rest....
Old 08-21-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

hello...here is my two cents - i work in an extremely high stress, super multitasking environment and I find that when I need to send out something really critical - i need to turn off the phone, the radio, the internet, the inter office text messages, my own phone and buckle down and focus. Sometimes that focus doesn't come easily for me at all depending on how stressed and foggy my brain feels at the moment. But, learning to SLOW down is important. Also, like others have said, dont' tweek with your medications. They do have impact your physical and mental nature and there are protocols for tracking increase or decreses/....

Everyone in work reaches a rough spot now and again - this is yours...you can do this...
Old 08-21-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You know Hello, I've think you just hit a critical point for me. I'm guilty of having my radio on while I work, checking the Internet, checking my phone, checking emails, listening to conversations outside my door all while trying to do my job. It's definitely time to change some things. Thank you.

And Breath, I definitely need to start eating better. Sometimes I'm so busy I just have a candy bar for lunch. Not good.

I feel so much better. And Anna, good point about not taking it with me tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hellomynameis View Post
hello...here is my two cents - i work in an extremely high stress, super multitasking environment and I find that when I need to send out something really critical - i need to turn off the phone, the radio, the internet, the inter office text messages, my own phone and buckle down and focus. Sometimes that focus doesn't come easily for me at all depending on how stressed and foggy my brain feels at the moment. But, learning to SLOW down is important. Also, like others have said, dont' tweek with your medications. They do have impact your physical and mental nature and there are protocols for tracking increase or decreses/....

Everyone in work reaches a rough spot now and again - this is yours...you can do this...
This is excellent advice. If it wasn't hard enough 20 years ago with a ringing phone and people coming by your desk, today we have IM, Email, Blackberries going off, phone still ringing on your desk in addition to the BB.

I have actually gone as far as to book a conference room, leave my office, enter the conf room, plug my laptop in, close the door, turn off my phone and just vanish to get things done.

If you don't have this luxury, sally, at least turn off email, IM, and hit 'send calls' on your phone until you get your task done.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I understand! I have worked for attorneys for years. About five years ago I felt extremely burned out and took a sabbatical from the legal profession. I got a job at an animal shelter and it was a very humbling, rewarding and heart breaking experience.

I am now back to work in the legal profession and have been for almost three years. I do have a new appreciation for my job after trying something different. I know exactly how challenging your job can be and attorneys can be intimidating under the best of circumstances. When I get stressed I take several deep breaths through my nose and out my mouth. I try to remember that while a job is important, in the grand scheme of things, it is not nearly as important as your mental, physical and spiritual health. Don't make the job out to be more than what it is, it is not life or death. Try to keep everything in the proper perspective. When your time on earth is done, you won't be worried about any typos that you made.

Just do the absolute best you can on everything you do, and don't be afraid to ask for help. Best of luck to you.