Notices

newbie here

Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newbie here

Hello all,
I don't know what to start with so...I am a recovering pot addict who was actively using up until June this year when I stopped. I had been "recommended to use" pot as an anti-anxiety medication replacement by a naturopath in Alaska when I lived there. And it helped me wean off of anti anxiety meds and my use was very low. Over 3 years time, my use increased so but never really overlapped into my daily life. I would just use ALL night long and sleep like a baby. Until december of 2013 when I decided that getting high on weed wasn't enough and I shocked myself into startnig to seek out other substances to use. I decided in December I had reached my limits and that I needed to stop. And finally did in June.

I met a great guy in June too. A high school classmate who was very open, reliable, kind hearted and genuine to me. Turns out, he had just completed stint in rehab himself for cocaine addiction. He was so very helpful in getting me through the first 30 days of my sober life. We have become close. We are good good friends. In the past 8 weeks, we have been together 3, he out of town 1 and he has "relapsed for 1 day" the remaining 4 on the weekends.

I am caught now in a web of rationalizations. I am frustrated. I am strugging with wanting to use now myself. And I am anxious.

I come here with an open heart and mind looking for support.

I believe I need to go to NA.
I believe I also need to go to NAR ANON.

Can you go to both?

Have a great day!

hello
Old 08-21-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi How about returning the favour and helping your lovely guy, same way he helped you for those first 30 days? - He was the strong one for you, now you do the same for him - you'll end up closer than ever
Old 08-21-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

THanks Zoe...
His relapses are so hard for me. And while addicts at the meetings I have gone to tend to me more open minded about them, not addicts who I speak to about this have different opinions.

I am struggling with the stigma of being an addict myself where most ppl I know wouldn't know I was... or perhaps they wouldn't accept it...
Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Yes - you can do both.

Welcome!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Hello! I'm glad you're here for support - it's a great place.

I have friends who attend both AA and Al-Anon meetings. It's worked out well for them.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am scheduling myself to do an NA tonight, AlAnon tomorrow and NA on Saturday night (this is a meeting i Have been to before w/ my boyfriend and really liked the vibe....could even pick a few out to sponsor me)...

Then I find some meetings for next week too. It is all a plan and I am horrible at planning.