Notices

Cant find pleasure in anything

Old 08-20-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant find pleasure in anything

I'm sad. I'm lonely. Nothing I do is pleasurable. All I keep thinking about is how lonely and stagnant my whole life is.

beware of broken people, for they know how to survive
Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

what is something that you used to find pleasure in that you don't do anymore?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Read, watch movies, socialize, exercise. Normal stuff. It all just bored me. I still work the same job, but now I'm miserable.

beware of broken people, for they know how to survive
Old 08-20-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. Maybe not exactly, but I can relate. I spend too much time staring out the window with no clue what to do with the next 10 minutes, let alone the rest of my life.

I don't know what you're drug of choice is, but mine is alcohol. It has totally zapped my energy, creativity, and love of life.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Boredom is a very strong sign of mental withdrawal. Your brain is basically throwing a hissy fit because you've stopped rewarding it with drugs or alcohol.

Have patience, it will change and adapt, the brain's good that way. Eventually as your body recovers physically and you start to get more energy, your brain will find new circuits of pleasure and reward. Its a long process, but that essentially is what recovery is all about.

I was watching an interview on youtube the other day, I think it was a former Miss USA who is a recovering alcoholic, and she mentions how on some days she feels overwhelming joy, joy she never had while drinking, for no reason. That's the kind of stuff you have to look forward to.

All the best, big Danny Mcbride fan myself
Old 08-20-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nomis View Post
Boredom is a very strong sign of mental withdrawal. Your brain is basically throwing a hissy fit because you've stopped rewarding it with drugs or alcohol.

Have patience, it will change and adapt, the brain's good that way. Eventually as your body recovers physically and you start to get more energy, your brain will find new circuits of pleasure and reward. Its a long process, but that essentially is what recovery is all about.

I was watching an interview on youtube the other day, I think it was a former Miss USA who is a recovering alcoholic, and she mentions how on some days she feels overwhelming joy, joy she never had while drinking, for no reason. That's the kind of stuff you have to look forward to.

All the best, big Danny Mcbride fan myself
I once heard someone say that "dry drunk" sucks; "Sobriety" is beautiful!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by eastboundndown View Post
All I keep thinking about is how lonely and stagnant my whole life is.
Understand the feeling. Guess what? Changing your life is 100% completely under your control.

Despair is easy. Breaking free takes effort you might not feel like expending. But like physical therapy, you might not feel like doing it, but it's the only way to get better.

So don't wait to feel like doing something...do something, anything, and the good feelings will catch up.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How long have you been sober Eastbound? I was listening to a Christian podcast last night (I hope that doesn't turn you off) but the pastor (who is intellectual and witty as hell : ) was talking about addiction and how it offers instant gratification and euphoria when our lives have become completely depleted and how difficult it becomes to take the long way back over the shortcut...and the short cut is soul crushing and life destroying. I don't know how long you drank/drugged?...but often when we sober, we are sitting in rubble and it's time to rebuild...one day at a time. I'm 8 or 9 weeks sober and my perspective is slowly changing. I notice and appreciate simpler things. Its like the portal of possibility widens everyday. Spiritual nurturance (however or wherever we may find it) is vital to my sobriety. It lays out the right map for me. It lets me know that connection with others is really what is important in life....not achieving wealth or amassing possessions. People are what's important. Possessing a soul that delights in simpler things.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i have been sober two years and still feel like this every once and awhile.
The poor mes set in.
I get to a meeting

but if arent an AA person. The amount of time staring out the window, get your shoes on a walk, walk around the block, down the street, just walk.
Its therapeutic and clears the mind

Its hard to do but when we get in a funk we dont wanna move but that the old way, the new way is dragging your ass around the block.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Have you been diagnosed with clinical depression?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Sometimes, i get a little down like that. But it's up to me to decide how i'm going to be today. I can mourn the loss of alcohol and feel like less of a person or i can concentrate on all the ways my life is better now that i'm sober. If you can't get past feeling like your life is meaningless without alcohol, i think it would do you some good to talk to someone face to face. I have a sponsor i can talk to and i used a therapist for a long time. My sponsor is great because she sees through my bullsh*t. When i'm down, it's probably because i'm being selfish and self centered. Going to a meeting and being a part of a greater group helps me. Being of service to the world helps me. I have to pull my head out of my a** and be a contributing member of humanity sometimes. Though that, my feeling of self worth is restored and i allow myself to feel happiness again. If i'm being selfish and self centered, my self worth goes in the garbage and i no longer feel worth of happiness. Perhaps this is the same for you? Find a way to be helpful to others so you get out of your own head. I think this could help you.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

how long have you been clean and sober eastbound?

D
Old 08-20-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

What changes have you made in your life besides stopping drinking?

Have you talked to your dr about depression? It could be that medication would help.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Eastbound - I have been sober one year and, like WhiskeyMan, I still experience the same feelings you described. In fact, just yesterday I was here on SR lamenting about feeling "stuck". If I've told myself once, I've told myself a thousand times: this, too, shall pass. And, guess what? I'm always right. Carry on.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

One thing that helped me was getting a planner and writing down what I was going to do each day. I engage in healthy recovery activities whether I feel like it or not, and it really helps. Things I do include eating 3 healthy meals a day, plus snacks, spending time on SR, getting some exercise, work and chores.

Exercise and eating healthy really help.

So does taking time to focus on the things that you have to be grateful for.

Think about what you're going to do to make your life better rather than about how bad it is.