Notices

Day 2

Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Well, yesterday was a solid day. Got up, hungover of course, dragged my sorry ass to work; however, not before preparing all my meals for the day and getting my gym bag in order.

Here was my day 1. I offer this in case my approach may help others:

Although it was hard to keep down at times, I ate all my pre-planned meals - diet rich in lean protein, moderate levels of complex carbohydrates, some fruits, lots of veggies, lots of water and some supplements - e.g., extra Vitamin C, E and ALA (post workout). Multi Vitamin, 4 milk thistle tabs throughout the day and a fish oil tab with each meal.

I packed 4 bottles of San Pelligrino (sparkling water) on ice in my car for the ride home. They were very refreshing and curbed the craving to reach for Beers.

Hit the gym for a good Back workout and then 20 minutes of intense Cardio. Got up today feeling very tires; but, ironically, better rested than usual. 2 hits of adivan last night probably helped (hence, my point about seeing your doc and not detoxing on your own).

My anecdotal experience (no science that I'm aware of) is that a diet that has moderate (not low/not high) carbs, coming mostly from complex sources (oats, Yam etc), keeps my blood sugar stable and helps to fight cravings.

The additional anti-oxidante (vit C/E/ALA) not only help with free radicals post workout, I would think it helps with the free radicals from a body trying to metabolize all that crap from the alcohol. Milk Thistle is supposed to sooth a hot liver. EFA's will help to improve hormonal balance.

So, it was a perfect day. Now, if I can only string together another 100 or so just like this....

Today I feel tired but I did not get as winded coming up the stairs, I do not feel as bloated in the stomach and I don't feel sick.

Day 2! Bring it!!!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting by day 1.

I take a B complex,fish oil and a muti-vitamin every morning.
Oh and 2 table spoons of soy Lecithin with my yogurt.
I'm on day 25
Old 08-20-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I read your posts last night congrats on Day 2!

I 100% agree with you, living on the roller coaster of thinking about drinking s*cks. I know I could never be a moderate drinker, even knowing that was an option and right away I feel the old anxiety about how much, when, where.

Letting go of it completely was the best gift I ever gave myself. I have been an athlete (in the NE ) almost all of my life. I was a downhill slalom racer and a figure skater. I skated up until 3 years ago, I'm 48.

One of the things I hated most about drinking was how it interfered with my athletic abilities, my looks. I hit 55 days today and I am excited to reclaim that aspect of my life. I gain over 30 lbs in the past 2 years. I would be so good all day, and then start drinking and all bets were off. Then waking up the next day, feeling like crap.....God, I sooooo don't miss that.

The benefits of putting days together just keeps getting better. Not waking up clammy, sweaty, having the capacity to enjoy the little things, not feeling shaky and feeling my heart racing simply because I climbed a set of stairs....as an athlete you are going to love being sober!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SLB a huge congrats on day 1. It sounds like you have a plan in place and a great one at that. Keep planning your days and I am sure you can make it to day 100. It won't be easy, but you can do it. Keep the faith and don't let your guard down. You seem to be doing the right things and you have a great attitude.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
I read your posts last night congrats on Day 2!

I 100% agree with you, living on the roller coaster of thinking about drinking s*cks. I know I could never be a moderate drinker, even knowing that was an option and right away I feel the old anxiety about how much, when, where.

Letting go of it completely was the best gift I ever gave myself. I have been an athlete (in the NE ) almost all of my life. I was a downhill slalom racer and a figure skater. I skated up until 3 years ago, I'm 48.

One of the things I hated most about drinking was how it interfered with my athletic abilities, my looks. I hit 55 days today and I am excited to reclaim that aspect of my life. I gain over 30 lbs in the past 2 years. I would be so good all day, and then start drinking and all bets were off. Then waking up the next day, feeling like crap.....God, I sooooo don't miss that.

The benefits of putting days together just keeps getting better. Not waking up clammy, sweaty, having the capacity to enjoy the little things, not feeling shaky and feeling my heart racing simply because I climbed a set of stairs....as an athlete you are going to love being sober!

Congrats on 55 day! That's awesome! I agree to regarding looks. I know it's probably petty to worry about that given the wreckage drinking can cause; but, hey, lets face it, when we look good, we feel good. hang in there. that 30 pounds will be a memory before you know it. At 55 days, you're right at the point where your body has probably adjusted to a new eating plan. at this point, keep up the workouts and that body fat will fly right off. PM me if you want to discuss that in more detail.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenity1972 View Post
SLB a huge congrats on day 1. It sounds like you have a plan in place and a great one at that. Keep planning your days and I am sure you can make it to day 100. It won't be easy, but you can do it. Keep the faith and don't let your guard down. You seem to be doing the right things and you have a great attitude.
Thanks Serenity!