Notices

Day two and going to work...scared

Old 08-20-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day two and going to work...scared

I'm still having withdrawel syptoms. Was sweating all night. The shakes have left a little bit. My face is red and feels on fire. And the cut on my nose is so ugly. I know I'll get lots of questions today and I'm terrified. Wish I could take another day off but I'm to worried to call in again. I am so uncomfortable and sad. I feel like I can't beat this.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kayla, you can. Take that shower, use the makeup, and above all, remember you are a sick person trying to get well. There is no shame in that.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel my co workers can see right through me.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tell them You've had / are coming down with flu.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You already took the first steps; now all you have to do is brush yourself off and take more. As much as I hate lying & as much as it has become a part of my life, When asked about your nose say you had a bicycle accident, walked into a tree, tripped over your cat if you have one, then laugh and brush it off .. You should not let this stop the actions you have chosen .. Keep moving forward, were pulling for ya
Old 08-20-2013, 03:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

drink a lot of water today and stay quiet at work...short answer, you've been sick, are sore from the fall.
you have patient contact, keep the small talk minimal...do your job and be grateful that you are able to work.
remember how you feel embarrassed after drinking before you think you can drink again....calling out sick on a monday after a weekend binge will cost you a lot more than you think. if you think people can see it, it's probably correct.
above all keep posting here, make a plan to stay sober and don't feel sorry for yourself. you can turn this around and have so much less anxiety and better health both physical and mental.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kayla50 View Post
I feel my co workers can see right through me.
Probably because they can.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How are you doing today Maxamuus?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh I think Kayla and I are in about the same boat. Yet I will give her kudos for going to work, I don't think I can today.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for that response. I know I shouldn't feel sorry for my self but a few words of encouragement seem to help a little. Rather that a couple of people telling me my coworkers can tell I'm a drunk. I'm trying to keep it together but know I can't stop crying. I'll probably lose my job today.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Kayla, I'm sure he didn't mean it the way it sounded - he's in a bad way himself at the moment x
Old 08-20-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
TKS

This is the beginning for you. You will get through today.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Kayla... I think its admirable that you are going into work when you are having such a tough time. If there is no way you can take some time off try and focus on getting your work done to the best of your ability. Whatever is going on in your life is no ones business but who you choose to tell and involve. Focus on doing your job correctly and try to make sure your work performance is okay and get through today without drinking.

Try and not stress out about and worry what people may or may not be thinking. The only person you should be concerned about is yourself and getting well right now should be your priority. Get a plan together for recovery so you don't keep putting yourself through this. Best wishes.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

try to look ahead to the future and make a plan to stay sober. the red face will fade, check your bp, you will lose that puffy look.
you did not seek medical help yesterday, are up and moving today, if you feel worse, you can call your doctor.
crying about whether you think others can see the aftermath isn't going to help you feel better, it will just make your face more red and puffy.
you will probably get extra sleep tonight and feel much better tomorrow.
be sure to eat.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you Hayley
Old 08-20-2013, 04:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm so tired and anxious. I don't want to go to work and face all of the questions.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Kayla, can you not take some more time off?. Your health and being well should be your number one priority.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You can do it Kayla!
We're all pulling for you.

After you get through these withdrawals it gets much,much better.I always had a fear of losing my job as well.It seems to come with the anxiety.
I think once you start doing the usual at work you'll feel better.
It's like stage fright.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My prayers are with you today.. u are brave an strong..
Old 08-20-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Kayla,

If you think you need time to recover, you could see a doctor and, through your employer, apply for time under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). This offers you up to 5 days of protected time (whether it's paid time or not depends on your PTO entitlement. if you have personal, sick or vacation time accrued, you would be paid).

Your employer cannot count FMLA time against you (it is illegal and aggressively enforced through the by the Department of Labor). Most HR staff, rightfully, have zero tollerance for retailiation against those using FMLA.

I mention this because if you have reached the point where you just cannot do it, where you feel sick and need time; and, perhaps, at risk of screwing up your job, you are better off calling your HR people and seeing about applying for FMLA rather than just calling in sick.

Most doctors would be more than happy to sign off on this. Cracking addiction is the single biggest piece of preventative medicine that one can adopt.