No More Meetings. What Now?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

No More Meetings. What Now?

I went to go to my Al-Anon meeting tonight only to find out it no longer exists. I hadn't been regularly because of work and family commitments, but the last thing I expected was for it to no longer exist. This was the only meeting on our island. The closest one now is over an hour away. That's just not feasible for me to do financially or time wise. So what the heck do I do now? I appreciate the support here at SR, but nothing quite replaces the fellowship of a live Al-Anon meeting.

I'm not going to let this ruin my week, but man this makes me dislike Monday even more now.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you have contact numbers for any of the alananon members? I would guess you're not the only one who is missing them - maybe you could restart on a smaller scale?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I used to have phone numbers. Then I changed my number and phone, and I'm not bright enough to back up that kind of stuff. We were a tiny group to start with (most people I ever saw at once was five), so I'm not sure how regrouping would work. This is a close knit military community, so a lot of people have the "I can't be seen at AA/Al-Anon" mentality. In larger places it's easier to retain some anonymity with more cars in parking lots/meetings in different location. Bah. I was so looking forward to it, too. I was so proud of myself since I actually remembered today was Monday! I usually don't have Mondays off from work.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Are you certain that the group hasn't simply changed locations or meeting times? That sometimes happens. I suggest giving your local intergroup a call. Some places are better than others about keeping the meeting lists up to date.

If there's a time you will always be available, you could start your own group, too. There's a thread around here somewhere (no time to look it up right now) about how to do that.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd agree w/first checking that the meeting hasn't changed times or locations. I had to do some pursuit of meetings in my area, too--one that kept changing locations as the hospital where it was held was undergoing major renovations, and another that could be located only by word of mouth since the local intergroup wouldn't list them b/c they used "non-approved materials" at their meetings (the AA Big Book, which is apparently OK for AA to use but not Alanon...).

I think this might be the thread about starting your own meeting that Lexie mentioned http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...non-group.html

And if none of that works, then your remaining option might be this http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/electronic-meetings If you're finding it hard to read, click the link just above the top of the document to open it full screen.

Good luck, hope you find an answer to the problem!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just googled AlAnon online and right away found a good list of online groups to join. That might overlap with what honeypig posted but my Kindle won't cooperate with the link so I'm not sure. Online might not be the same as in person but maybe it will do until you work something else out.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Thank you! My group has been removed from all of the area sites, as well as the Al-Anon meeting locator. Tried calling the 800# listed, didn't get anywhere there, either. I will check out the posted links and see about starting my own group. I love meetings. I feel like I'm finally centered in a healthy place and can really jump-start my week there.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, your group has vanished from the face of the earth! Sounds like the work of space aliens to me....

Good luck w/starting your own group, hope all goes well. Please do let us know how it turns out, as I suspect it would be useful information for folks here to have.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I was hoping to catch one of the church office staff or church members to find out if maybe they had just moved locations. AA and NA still meet there during the week, so maybe our membership/financial support finally died off so much that the group just had to dissolve. It still sucks. I will definitely post whatever I find out from this venture!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

we've been lacking people at my Thursday night's meetings too. I've got the same problem you do too a drive away without anyone else that will go along