Notices

Day 14. On making sauce at 7:00 am.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Day 14. On making sauce at 7:00 am.

Yesterday was 2 weeks sober for me. Can't really believe all the exceptionally incredible things that have occurred in a mere 14 days. Anxiety is gone. The gutwretching fear of life is gone. I embrace each day and am learning how to live life on her terms again. And the serenity, when it comes, assists in staving off the cravings when they come. Yes, it's hard. Yes, it's like having to learn how to walk again. Yes, there are moments when I don't think I'm going to make it another minute sober yet the rest of my life. But, my options are limited now. It was time to sh*t or get off the pot.

Cooking in the evening is a HUGE trigger for me. But I never drank in the morning. I had a bushel of homegrown tomatoes I needed to make into sauce (gravy for you fellow Dagoes). I knew dam well that I couldn't do it at 4:00 pm without grinding my teeth through the whole thing. So I got up at 6:30 am, on a Sunday, and cooked that sauce.

On to week 3.

And the gratitude I have in my heart for the last 14 days renders me to my knees...
Old 08-19-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here's to homegrown tomato sauce And congrats on day 14!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

Way to go two wks!!

I know someone who calls it gravy and noodles! heh made me chuckle

great plan and insight, its not like you can't do the things you used to do, you may just need to do them a little differently, thx
wish you the best
Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 2 weeks, alpha! And good on you for recognizing your triggers and avoiding them. (I love that you cooked the sauce in the morning!) Onward and upward!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to know you're enjoying yourself alpha. I'm sure the Gravy/Sauce will be better than ever. Great job on your 2 sober weeks.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fellow **** here and cooking was probably my single biggest trigger as well. In the end, of course, it had lost its whole romantic "holding a glass of wine while stirring the sauce" imagery and became more of a "drinking a bottle of wine while trying not to fall into the sauce" but I do know what you mean. I also cooked in the mornings for the first few months although there are still some things I cannot stomach too early in the day (cooking meat or fish, for example). I also had a major trigger with the Food Network and the Cooking Channel. I used to watch the shows on there religiously and always, always with a drink in hand.

I can cook now again at night without it being a trigger but I am still a little iffy with the Food Channel. Although admittedly some of the personalities on those networks make me want to drink for reasons that have nothing to do with food whatsoever .

Your gravy (my Italian mother told me once this term only applies when it has meat in it or is served "special" on Sundays...rest of the time it's sauce...but who knows?) sounds divine. I have tons of tomatoes awaiting the same fate next weekend. This past weekend was gazpacho.

Congrats on 14 days, AO! You rock and you are going to totally kick this thing in the culo!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, it took "Dag0" as a unacceptable word. How politically correct SR is!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Cooking in the evening is a HUGE trigger for me. But I never drank in the morning. I had a bushel of homegrown tomatoes I needed to make into sauce (gravy for you fellow Dagoes). I knew dam well that I couldn't do it at 4:00 pm without grinding my teeth through the whole thing. So I got up at 6:30 am, on a Sunday, and cooked that sauce.
Awesome way to change it up without skipping a beat.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AO...

you are brilliant!!!! way to go on your sobriety... and seriously amazing idea to make the sauce at the crack of dawn! i love it!!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Way to go! Keep up the good work!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on two weeks