Notices

Suffering

Old 08-19-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suffering

Day one of sobriety for me. I'm a mess. I have this terrible anxiety & my heart feels like it'g going to jump out of my chest. Hard time breathing because of this anxiety. I drink when I have anxiety then I get anxiety the next morning because I drank. It's a such a vicious cycle and it's winning. I'm trying to get through this day at work. It's not easy. I feel like breaking down in tears. I need help. Trying to put on the happy face at work, but I'm on the verge of tears, sick to my stomach, and a hot mess. I want a better quality life. Happy, healthy, wholesome, and meaningful. I just don't feel like anything has real meaning anymore. I feel so lost....
Old 08-19-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The first few days are rough for sure. You may want to see your doctor if you have physical concerns, there are things they can to do to help.

Once you get over the intitial hump, things will get better. For me the final straw was when drinking wouldn't even take away the anxiety - be safe and congrats for making a great decision to make a better life for yourself.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you thought of seeing your Dr or going to a detox place? They can make sure your medically safe and feel less "crappy" while you get thru this.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there,Mindy.
It does get better after a couple days.
Is there any way you can take time off from work without getting in trouble?

Just know we are here for you.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Mindy,

Hang in there. You really should see your doctor. They can make this allot easier for you. Can you do it yourself? Sure. Why though? Why suffer through those symptoms when they can write you a script to see you through the first few days? I get anxiety too so I know that feeling. I can tell you that 1 adivan before bed all but illiminates those symptons for me.

Also, that rapid heart beat can be a problem. You may feel lost but don't feel hopeless. There is plenty of hope left in you if you took this step!! Get through the first few days and it will get easier.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Mindy. I am experiencing the same thing. Extreme anxiety and jitters after a weekend of drinking. I stayed home from work today, and I hope it was the right choice. I'm starting to shake more. I'm so uncomfortable. I feel like crying too.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Kayla50 View Post
Hi Mindy. I am experiencing the same thing. Extreme anxiety and jitters after a weekend of drinking. I stayed home from work today, and I hope it was the right choice. I'm starting to shake more. I'm so uncomfortable. I feel like crying too.
You may want to see a doctor as well Kayla. Are you detoxing at home alone or do you have someone with you?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not employed right now, but if I were, there would be no way I could have made it in today.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm no expert on any of this but you guys should really be contacting your doctors. There is no shame in it. You're sick right now and your doc can help relieve allot of those symptoms!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for taking the time to post. It really helps to have support with people who understand. I've tried to quit before and failed. I really want this to work for me and my family and my future. I'm sick and tired (literally) of waking up in the morning and hating myself. I felt so good when I stopped drinking. I was "proud" of myself every morning that I woke up with a clear head. Why did I go back?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I actually am prescribed ativan to help me quit drinking and get through withdrawels. It's not working
Old 08-19-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Kaya. Hang in there. I hope you start feeling better. Hopefully, we both will come out of this funk!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm soo sad. I hate that I keep doing this to myself and my family.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I actually am prescribed ativan to help me quit drinking and get through withdrawels. It's not working
Yeah, that's what they gave me. So far so good. If it's not working though, give them a call. Maybe something different might work. Hang in there though. Looks like all of us or on day 1. I've done this before (unfortunately) so I know it gets better.

Originally Posted by Mindy1215 View Post
Thank you guys for taking the time to post. It really helps to have support with people who understand. I've tried to quit before and failed. I really want this to work for me and my family and my future. I'm sick and tired (literally) of waking up in the morning and hating myself. I felt so good when I stopped drinking. I was "proud" of myself every morning that I woke up with a clear head. Why did I go back?
It's the Devil. same here. I would string together months of sobriety. I would feel like a million$, get my body back, all my cloths would fit again, I would be sharp as a whip, confident, have pride! Than BANG!!!! "I can handle one night of drinking"... This happened a year ago after going 10 weeks with not a drop. here I am a year later on Day 1 again. Lets all get through these crazy first few days and then talk about how not to get sucked back in next time.
-Steve
Old 08-19-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I did 13+ years sober and I STILL drank again. Fighting it tooth and nail now.

I am completely convinced (by my granddaughter who is diabetic, that daily maintenance is the key). We will ALWAYS have this condition and it is so easy to forget once we feel better.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You guys can do it. Go over to the alcoholics tab and read the thread "What is the most surprising thing I've done in sobriety". It's got some very cool stuff on it, and pretty soon,you'll have things to write on those pages! You guys can get through this!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I asked my doctor to prescribe meds to get me through withdrawal and he refused. I'm glad he did...it would have been substituting one addiction for another. Hopefully, you can take some time off work to get through this.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
I asked my doctor to prescribe meds to get me through withdrawal and he refused. I'm glad he did...it would have been substituting one addiction for another. Hopefully, you can take some time off work to get through this.
Did he offer you alternatives though? Like rehab? I really hope that a medical doctor didn't just send you on your way to battle detox without any assistance. I agree with you insofar as you don't want to substitute one vice for another. Detox is a pretty acute, and potentially dangerous, situation where some trade off may need to be struck... Meaning, you accept some marginal risk of becoming addicted to another med but in return make it through detox in one piece. to each his own I guess.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
Thank you for the post. I just started a new job and missed the sign up for benefits, so now I have to wait for open enrollment. I won't be going to the dr., but I am going to do some research and see if there any herbal substitutes.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mindy1215 View Post
Thank you for the post. I just started a new job and missed the sign up for benefits, so now I have to wait for open enrollment. I won't be going to the dr., but I am going to do some research and see if there any herbal substitutes.
Mindy,
For the night time, you could try some melatonin. That has worked for me in the past. It just helps to keep you asleep a little better. I don't know what your situation is with the drinking and nobody but you will knw how rough detox will be. If you're going to go it alone, just be aware of the mild vs. severe symptoms. If the former, herbal stuff and discipline may see you through; if the later, don't be affriad to seek treatment.