Addictive personality? What is next?

Old 08-19-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addictive personality? What is next?

My AH has been really gaining weight, mainly his stomach since his inpatient rehab. He is eating a lot and especially sweets. He never ate sweets before. I've read this is common with people in recovery. But I also have read addicts trade one addiction for another. So maybe sweets today and sex or drugs tomorrow?? Does anyone have any experience with this? I know I have no control over any of this. I don't care if he is over weight, except for his own health. I am just curious what to expect next in this foreign world of being married to an A.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, I have had much experience with this. Increased appetite and appreciation of food and especially sweets is almost universal in the first few weeks of abstinence. I would not consider this addiction.

dandylion
Old 08-19-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Dandilion! Any insight if other things might follow?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Now as I am rereading this, it hit me...maybe I am not as much of a "planner" as I think. Maybe my need to plan ahead and know what to expect is another form of my codependency. Time to work some steps!!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Has he had blood tests run recently? I don't want to scare you--maybe it's just belly fat. But sometimes that distended belly is fluid from liver disease. Anyone who has a history of alcoholism should have blood work done--the liver enzymes will be elevated if there is any liver damage.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lexiecat, thank you! I didn't know that. I doubt he will go have it checked, but I will ask him to. Thank you for letting me know.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lexiecat, I just asked him if he had it checked and he told me they checked it when he was at the inpatient rehab facility a couple weeks ago.
So much about this I don't know. Thank you for your insight.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

As far as the "next" addiction -- we are sort of hoping for cigarettes.

She will have to stand outdoors, and it is likely less bothersome to the rest of us.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

OK, well, that's good, assuming he is telling the truth.

Sweets help a LOT with urges to drink in the very beginning. They aren't necessarily healthy, but anything that helps keep those urges at bay early on is important. I gained 30 pounds the first year of sobriety, but it is now almost all gone. The alcohol is more dangerous than the weight gain. I wouldn't assume he is going to have an eating disorder--most alcoholics are malnourished while they are drinking (I drank instead of eating), so it takes some time to get into normal nutritional mode.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your first thought was exactly the same as mine. "As long as he is telling the truth".
I am not really concerned with the over eating or sweets as much as what could come next if trading one addiction for another kind of scenario. I just don't trust him. He keeps his phone with him all the time. He is still as secretive as before. I have been not helping the situation, because I have tried to distance myself emotionally from him and have stayed away from him most of the time since he has been back. I'm scared to get close to him again. I do not want to get hurt again. All the lies and secrets. What he has done to me is bad enough already. But it is like I need a brick wall to fall on my head and me to actually witness him cheating, drinking etc. and I know in my brain that will not happen. He is too good at hiding it all. So the sweet question was my way of asking if worse things he cannot "get enough of" are to follow.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As a Practicing Naturopathic Doctor who treats addicts, I can tell you the increase need for sugar is due to the lack of Serotonin once the "substance" stops.
Certain foods have the same affect. When we consume foods high in sugar insulin gets released, in order to quickly take it out of the bloodstream.
Insulin removes all of the amino acids along with the sugar, except tryptophan. Tryptophan is the precursor for serotonin and it now can enter the brain without having to compete with other amino acids.
Addiction is linked to these neurotransmitter deficiencies. They seek out substances that balance their bodies out biochemically. Sugar is a way to do this. Glucose cravings are caused by a lack of dopamine, Serotonin and dopamine have a very complex relationship in the brain.

Pharma uses SSRI's to "solve" this, Naturopaths use supplements to feed the body and the brain. There is more success treating this with naturals than pharma
Old 08-19-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you Summerpeach. That definitely makes sense and goes along with what the rehab facility told me about how the alcohol affects the brain. So I suppose it is a good sign that he is eating sweets, maybe it means he really has stopped drinking. What are your recommendations of natural ways to help this?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Summerpeach, thanks for the info--I have read stuff to this effect before, nice to have it confirmed.

Richardswife, my A is singlehandedly supporting the local frozen custard industry around here since his last drink in July! And when there was a half price sale on Ben and Jerry's, we filled up one whole section of the freezer downstairs!

Now, this behavior was going on for a few months prior to this, when he would string together a few days of sobriety and then drink for a week and repeat, and was lying to me as well as his sponsor about that, so the fact that he is eating tons of ice cream itself is not proof positive of anything, I guess...but just so you know you're not alone in observing this.

Want to know what I think makes it the MOST unfair, though? He is eating buckets of ice cream and not exercising while I eat well and DO exercise. One of us is losing weight, and IT IS NOT ME!!!!!

Man, no justice in this world, is there....
Old 08-19-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ha ha! Honeypig! I feel your pain! That is a whole other thread as to why men can gain tons of weight, exercise for two days and it is gone. Meanwhile, I can have one grape, exercise non stop for days and still gain just by looking at the ice cream container!
The only thing that has ever worked for me, is eating just lean protein for a week and then adding in two fruits or veggies a day with it after that. Nothing else has ever worked for me.
It truly isn't fair what men get away with in their life. But resentment just hurts me, not him.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My ABF is a couple days shy of a month, and he drinks soda like a madman. I can't imagine 2 - 3 sodas a night, and the better part of a 12 pack on weekends is a good thing...

But I'll definitely take it over the alternative, and hey, in my opinion, if he gets mild but painful kidney stones, he'll have earned em.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

All patients are different, but what I often prescribe to increase Serotonin is to clean up the diet (this is harder for some that stopping the addiction), L- Theanine, 5HTP, Zinc, B6 and Added B complex to start, then I work from there.
I have two people I weened off Wellbutrin with herbs and supplement alone. They are still on herbs/sups and haven't needed to get back on the meds and their addiction urges are less.

Have a read here. Most people do not know about this condition. It's very common.

Pyroluria: How Pyrroles Affect Physical and Mental Health

Alcoholism Caused by Multi-resistant Pyroluria Infection | Peace . Gold . Liberty
Old 08-19-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My AH has stopped drinking for.a few days (not intending to stop for good or anything), and where before I had found hidden drink bottles, I am now finding hidden food.....
Old 08-19-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
My emotional baggage

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
As far as the "next" addiction -- we are sort of hoping for cigarettes.

She will have to stand outdoors, and it is likely less bothersome to the rest of us.
OMG, you are funny!!!!!!!