Notices

Newcomer *sick & tired of being sick & tired*

Old 08-18-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Newcomer *sick & tired of being sick & tired*

Hi all! I am a newcomer to this site...again. Today was horrible. I was hung over, in pain, stressed, depressed, having anxiety, tired, and just sickly feeling. Im constantly feeling like Im going to die from my drinking and yet for some reason I just haven't been able to stop. I feel like I need to go to a rehab but I don't have insurance. How do I do this?!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back AG

If you feel you need support, have you thought of one of the many recovery programmes out there?

here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

posting here more regularly can only help too

D
Old 08-18-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks I will check it out. I need something to give.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome AG. First thing I did was make the decision my drinking days were over. I told two people close to me on that hellish morning. I believe the second thing I did was reconnect with my old account here at SR that was opened during my last stab at sobriety back in 2006. The third was sit down and make a list of about a dozen things I could do when the urges hit (and you know they will come) to not drink. I should note that I was also already in therapy on another (likely related) matter. I was probably in the seriously "contemplative" state to quit drinking a month or two before I actually did. Apparently I needed a few more horrific experiences to really seal the deal. I'm glad I made it through the last one without killing anyone or myself in the process. Two books were also very important to me in those early days.. "The Spirituality of Imperfection" by Kurtz and Ketcham as well as Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Drinking.

Bright blessings to you AG. Decide to do this and it can certainly be done.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.. I hope you find the support you need here, and congratulations of thinking of starting a new life sober. That sick and tired feeling becomes so tedious, and such a waste of our one precious life. If you are dying for a drink, you might just be..... all I found at the end of my drinking was misery, and knew that anything at all had to be better than that, and it is. It really does get better. I wish you luck and strength..
Old 08-18-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I could not afford rehab, instead moved into a woman's sober living for a couple of months. I paid five hundred dollars a month (in CA). Each day began with house 12 Step meeting. There were chores I was assigned, I did lots of reading. I went to a noon meeting, then at six we met again, then every night went to a different meeting around town. I loved being immersed in recovery. It saved my life, marriage, family, and I've been sober for over four years. I still look back on that time as life changing and important.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR AG

Even if you don't use it as a recovery method you could do worse than go to your local AA meeting. I found that people there knew exactly what facilities were available for detox in my area having all been through them themselves. There are bound to be some low cost or free places somewhere x
Old 08-19-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your reply. I will definitely check out those books. I am so happy for you that you decided to quit alcohol. IT is not easy. Take care
Old 08-19-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Waste

Originally Posted by losteverything View Post
Welcome to SR.. I hope you find the support you need here, and congratulations of thinking of starting a new life sober. That sick and tired feeling becomes so tedious, and such a waste of our one precious life. If you are dying for a drink, you might just be..... all I found at the end of my drinking was misery, and knew that anything at all had to be better than that, and it is. It really does get better. I wish you luck and strength..
Awesome, great quote!! THanks a ton. It is definitely a waste of a life and our loved ones as well. I want to watch my kids get old <3 Take care and thanks again.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are amazing. Im glad that you were able to find help. <3
Old 08-19-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No half measures

AA is free and works for many including me.. They have a solution all you have to do is reach out and grasp it
Old 08-19-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Ag! AVRT has been my most effective tool. Almost like a reflex action. In fact other than coming to SR that is all I use.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey AG. Hope you made it through the day okay?