Notices

Looking for help

Old 08-18-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for help

Well, I'm at what I would call a crisis state in my life.

Spent the last two days trying to get to an AA meeting. I was able to find a meeting, but was told there are no volunteers to help with transportation. I can't drive because of dui and because I'm a bloody alcoholic. -Feel like I got the big finger from AA. I'm trying to find help, but keep getting no help. I know it's not all about me ---but I could rally use a little help.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

Hello timetostart
this is a great place to start, great and welcoming people who know exactly where you coming from check out all the forums , there are really good ideas and stories

and don't apologize, it is all about you
wish you well and hope to see you coming back
Old 08-18-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Someone will have a link of meetings in your area. Maybe there is one where you can walk to or online meetings may be a good start if youcan't physicallly get to a meeting just yet
Old 08-18-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try calling again. That is one of the major "help" things that AA Hotlines do. In fact, in my "sober days" in the country, I got more help by picking people up and getting them to meetings. The "meeting before and after" (in a car or diner) was more helpful than the actual meeting.

Keep trying. Right now I am having my sponsor pick me up (rather than drive myself) because isolation is a direct cousin to alcoholism.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for responding. I've tried repeatedly calling AA. Yesterday, while trying to find a ride to a meeting, (or even just trying to get a physical address) somehow I was transferred to a lady whose husband was dying in the hospital and didn't understand why she was being called - talk about an awkward moment. Apparently she did some hospice work - but was in no way connected to AA. I tried calling AA back after that and was told that they were simply an answering service and could not help or even connect me with help.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello TimetoStart!! Sorry for your difficulties. SR us
Old 08-18-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats time to start...I just started yesterday so day 2....? How do you post and not reply or do you have to start a new thread each time?
Old 08-18-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The trick is to keep posting to stay at the top of the first page. 3 of us on here in early days...
Old 08-18-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dag blame touch screen!! TimetoStart...SR is a wonderful site with very supportive members!! I never thought about this but, no transportation is required to get here. There are members here with more experience with AA than than I have and maybe they will be able give some advice. Welcome to SR!
Old 08-18-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Timetostart and welcome, this is a great place.

Did you go through this link to find a meeting/help?

Alcoholics Anonymous : HOW TO FIND A.A. MEETINGS

I can only imagine your frustration, keep posting.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Timetostart. Being here helped me find the courage to change my life. I drank for many years & was totally defeated when I joined. I felt so much better once I knew I wasn't alone anymore. I hope it helps you to know we all care & understand. You can do this.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi time, they have online AA too. And meetings here in the chatroom tues and friday nights 9pm est. until or in addition to the in-person meetings. It's gonna be ok.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for responding. I'm just starting to feel like the biggest piece of nothing; nothing worth saving, helping. I'm just another drunk in the eyes of society - Yet I try so hard
Old 08-18-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, TimetoStart. You are a lot worth saving and helping. You've come to a good place. I'm sorry to hear of your transportation difficulties--that sounds really frustrating.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah, timetostart I spent years trying to get my life together and quit drinking, smoking, and drugging it up. Its truly amazing how this site has helped me finally say enough is enough and let me tell you I feel great, and its only been 14 days. Keep coming back and you will get better. Hope to see you around.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome TimeToStart

You are absolutely worth helping...I'm sorry for your bad experience, but I have no advice with transportation...I'm not in AA.

Like Pinkdog said, there are online meetings - & maybe some meetings will be near bus routes too or something? (I don't live in the US....)

I know you'll find support here tho - please do make yourself at home
D
Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you to all that replied. I'll keep posting. It took a long time for me to build up the courage to ask for help. I was really disappointed when I did not receive any.

Below is the response AA provided to my email I sent them expressing my frustration.

I regret your experience with our service was not perceived as helpful...our operators are volunteers and though they have been trained the info they retain is an uncontrolled variable..they should know that we do not provide or promise rides..out id beyond our scope...however though you did not like the
Location of the meeting you were given..it might be what is available in your area and now you have it...I'm sure you found a way to drink without transportation...we a.a.'s find a way...have a good night
Old 08-19-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow. I can't believe that is the response you got. I'm so sorry. Keep coming back to this site. Do you have public transportation that could get you to a meeting?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I live in a very rural location outside of public transportation lines.

It's o.k. I'll stick to this website until I get my license back than maybe try again.

I find other people's stories really helpful. Makes me feel less alone.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Here is a link for online AA Video meetings---7 days a week and mostly all day long into the early evening. Free of course!

Addiction, Alcoholism - In The Rooms - Drug Addiction Treatment