Notices

New Here...

Old 08-18-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here...

Open to advise, suggestions, stories how other families go about their lives when not all family members agree on how to include the addicted family member in family events, day to day life...
Old 08-18-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No half measures

The family member has to learn how to navigate life themselves but never pressue them to attend drinking situations. You can not keep them from drinking and you can not make them drink. You can be respectful about how difficult it is for us to be around alcohol
Old 08-18-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi SoulLight and

You've come to a great place where you'll find a lot of help from those who have been there.

Can you be a little more specific about your situation? What is your role in this?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, SoulLight, and welcome to SR. I hope you find this site to be a source of wisdom and support.

There is a section of the forum called "Family and Friends of Alcoholics", also one for family and friends of substance abusers. You might like to take a look at whichever of those applies to your situation, maybe post there to see if you get some more specific feedback.

Again, welcome to SR, hoping that you find clarity and peace.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR SoulLight. I hope you find the help & support you're seeking. We're happy to have you with us.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Soulight
looking fwd to hearing more of your story

D
Old 08-19-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My brother is an alcoholic with a gambling addiction. Geographically I am the only immediate family member close to him and his family and therefore have been entrenched in the situation. The go-between you might say as there are "no contact conditions" in place since he was removed from his home last year.
We are planning a milestone family event and the planning is getting complicated because as a family we are not all on the same page with respect to my brother's addictions and how his family has responded to him now being in recovery.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How does your brother feel? Do you know?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awkward, uncomfortable around/towards some family members who are angry with what has become of him and what he has done to his family. A year ago this September we lost a member of our family, they were killed by a drunk driver and it was this event that seemed to be what sent him over that edge about a month after the fatal collision into a drunken rage that had him removed from his home. Some family members are struggling with why he couldn't use that tragic event to inspire him into recovery. Instead he became the "enemy".
Old 08-20-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Is he still drinking and gambling? When you say "his family", do you mean he has a wife and kids?

Can we move this to F&F?
Old 08-21-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not sure if he's still drinking and gambling. Do know that he has had many drinking slip ups since being removed from his home with the last one that I am aware of about 2 months ago. Yes by saying "his family" he has a wife and children.
Can move this discussion to F&F just not sure how to do that!?
Old 08-21-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The F&F question was meant for the moderators. Not sure this discussion belongs in the beginners forum.