Notices

Guilt About Work

Old 08-18-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Guilt About Work

It's day 5, and I'm feeling some guilt about work. I'm a therapist and work with lots of people with substance abuse. I could always use my past issues as motivation for helping others, but now that I've realized and admitted my more recent problem I feel hypocritical. My job is one thing that pushes me to be sober, because I love my work and clients more than anything, so knowing tomorrow is Monday is really exciting for me, and I can't wait to get back.
I would like to think my own issues take me from being good at my job to being great at it, because I'm coming from a place of honesty and empathy, not a textbook explanation, but there's some guilt here at the moment from my re-starting recovery.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand what you're saying but I personally would prefer a therapist who knew what they were talking about, rather than one that just read from a textbook
If you stop now, think of all those people who will lose out. No-one can understand better than someone who has been through it and it would be an awful waste of your talents, just for the sake of a human 'blip' x
Old 08-18-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

My sponsor in AA works for a women's recovery group. She is also one of my old drinking buddies from many years gone by. We lost touch 8 years ago when she got sober (go figure!). I feel privileged to walk this road receiving guidance from a person who has a full understanding of how I feel.

I think that the position you're in actually gives you an edge and the rare gift of knowing that you not only can help the people you work with, you can honestly identify with where they're at. You can truly share in the goodness of it all because you understand it.

Don't feel guilt for being in recovery, feel elated that you can help these people because you, yourself have been there!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Think of it this way....you can use your relapse as a learning and valuable experience. This only allows you to have even more insight and ability to help others. I had a therapist in recovery once-- I wasn't yet willing to stop. BUT she was awesome and very knowlegdable. Glad you are back and continuing with your recovery. As you know guilt gets us nowhere.