Notices

Depression.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression.

I started drinking heavily in the first place to ease my depression. I do take Anti depressants and have done for many years. I'm aware that alcohol stops them working as well but i'm worried that a life without alcohol is gonna consequently mean a life with more depression. Mental illness is not the best thing to have on top of quitting drinking. My mind is so fragile right now i actually feel extremly worried and scared with a fear in the pit of my stomach. I do hope this horrendous feeling gets better as i would hate to have to reach for my releif. Day 5 tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Good going on five days, RJ!

It will take a while for your body and mind to adjust to sobriety.

Have you talked to your doctor about quitting drinking?
Old 08-17-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Without alcohol, the depression and anxiety ease up... It only can mask it for so long. Congrats on 5 days!
Old 08-17-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Good going on five days, RJ!

It will take a while for your body and mind to adjust to sobriety.

Have you talked to your doctor about quitting drinking?
Many times Coldfusion. He says, just do it and plough through. He wont prescribe me any more vallium as i took the whole bottle (64 tablets) in one night once and ended up in hospital. That was a dark dark time. All i can do power through.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a depressive substance. You have literally been swallowing one of the things that create depression on a daily basis. Day five is great. You are going to see some rays of light break through the clouds very soon. You're doing fantastic!
Old 08-17-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Once you've got through the first phase you will find that not drinking will help with the depression not make it worse. Waking up without hangovers and with real purpose will make a massive difference!
Old 08-17-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have you got some support in place RJ? If you are concerned about how you are going to cope in sobriety it is a good idea to plan ahead and make sure you have people to talk to as you go along, be it AA, SMART, here or another support group. If you're in London I'd imagine there are lots of options.

My own experience was that stopping drinking basically stopped my depression. I had bad patches at least once a year lasting some months. I also thought my depression was one of the reasons I drank, but I started drinking at 12, heavily at 14 and daily at 18. I didn't really give myself a fair chance to learn other coping strategies. I don't want to jinx it but I haven't had a proper depressive episode since I quit a year and a half ago. It sounds like a lot of people have found that it positively effects their depressive tendencies. I hope you find the same x
Old 08-17-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me a life without alcohol has meant less depression...far less.

I thought depression was going to be a constant in my life - I'd been depressed since I was a child.

I honestly very rarely get depressed now.

D
Old 08-17-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am a lot less depressed now that I'm sober and my meds for it actually work right. Keep on keepin' on. It will get better.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a powerful depressant. Without alcohol your depression will improve.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We're not allowed to give medical advice here but it's safe to say that alcohol is a depressant and makes depression worse. Also, as you say, it interferes with any medicine which is prescribed to lessen depression. If this is so, then why do you drink alcohol "for depression". LIke the fellow that found himself in a hole so he grabbed a shovel and started digging? Congratulations on Day 5. If you keep on the meds and don't drink you should soon begin to feel better. If not, take it up with your doctor.

W.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My depression and anxiety has got much better since I stopped self medicating with drink.

I still have some anxiety and some depression, but it is nowhere near as bad.

Your doctor could prescribe you something non addictive such as beta blockers to help with anxiety. I have used them and they worked well. I don't want to be seen as giving medical advice, but benzo's such as valium are not the only answer to quitting booze and managing anxiety.

I think you also need to look after yourself.
If you have drunk for years, like me, it's not going to get better overnight.

You need to eat well, sleep well and rest. Be kind to yourself. Don't think too far ahead and take it a day at a time.

I wish you the best xxxx
Old 08-17-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My depression and anxiety BOTH are so much better now that I'm sober. I'm even taking less of my depression medication now. I'm in therapy and I found that really helpful.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I would think you should see the doctor that prescribes your antidepressant and tell him exactly how you are feeling. Perhaps he can help with some of the withdrawal it sounds like you are having. After time, your depression should definitely improve without alcohol. I take anit-depressants too and feel much lighter and upbeat when I don't drink. Your medicine can't work properly if you mix it with alcohol..so it is really a waste to even take it. Surround yourself with sober people, watch movies, make cookies, eat popcorn, take a walk, keep posting here and you will get through this. If you have someone in your life who continues to drink, as I do...ask them not to drink around you. My b/f doesn't drink in front of me anymore and goes out instead. He also has cut back a lot on drinking because of that request. Put yourself and your needs first and you will be fine.