Notices

End of Day 4.....Getting Easier

Old 08-16-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

End of Day 4.....Getting Easier

Ok definitely suffered some anxiety and depression this morning. Surprisingly that passed early this afternoon. I had no cravings for wine today. However against all your advice I did crack a cold becks 0.0%non alchohol beer. Wow was so refreshing while I bbq, I actually like the taste of beer so that was satisfying treat. Well off to bed....on to day 5 sober tommorow, I owe it to all of you. Thank you.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through Day 4.

I think that non-alcoholic beer/wine serves to continue the ritual of drinking and that's why I wouldn't drink it. I got rid of all the wine glasses and stuff like that when I stopped drinking.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can see how it could be an issue for some. Ill mark it as a learning expierence if I fail later. For me it was refreshing, it was 0.0% content. It worked for me tonight and I stayed sober.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not at a point in my life where I am going to hide from alcohol. I just chose not to drink it, its my choice.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

thewill,

No one on here will argue with your choices to do what's right for you. All that we can do is to speak from experience when a post is created to provide some insight and possibilities. When you make a choice to do something and someone responds with why it didn't work for them they aren't saying that you can't do it. They're simply sharing why what you chose to do didn't work for them. It's only stated with the best intentions and meant to help. Especially when you're early in sobriety. We've dealt with the AV long enough to know the games that it can play. Most of us have dabbled in NA beer or drinks.

With that being said I can understand where you say that you are choosing not to drink. However, you aren't going to hide from it.

Anna's experience is that she couldn't deal with doing that so she had to get rid of everything.

I tried non alcoholic beer one of the times that I quit. I did well with it for a bit. However, drinking it left me with an emptiness that wasn't being filled. I realized that I was fooling myself by professing that it was simply drinking the beer that I missed. It was the drunk, plain and simple. However, I continued to try to fool myself. Then, eventually, I purchased a six pack of real beer and poured out some of the non alcoholic beer and replaced it. I did this thinking I was fooling everyone around me. Eventually, I went from replacing 1/4 to 1/2 to 3/4 of the beer to saying screw it, if I'm going to drink I might as well drink. I ended up right back where I started.

You are saying that you do drink for the taste of the beer and not the effect. Maybe it will work for you.

We can't say it will or won't but we hope that by telling you that we've been there and done that it will help to keep you alert to the fact of what might come of it. The most important thing is for you to be honest with yourself.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Anna and LadyBlue.

My experience with NA beer is it was exactly like the experience of drinking 'real' beer for me, just without the alcohol.

I missed the buzz, and I think it made me crave the alcohol more.

but hey...I kinda figure my role is to share my experience - what happens after that out of my hands and is entirely up to the person reading it

D