Notices

First Post- Sober Starting Today

Old 08-16-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile First Post- Sober Starting Today

Hello!

I am beginning my new life today by making the decision to become sober FOR GOOD. I have tried a few times in the past, but always failed because I wasn't ready to admit that I am an alcoholic who cannot drink EVER AGAIN. I feel pretty good about it so far, but I know that I have a lot of work ahead of me.

I have a question about AA. I have always been hesitant to go...maybe because of the finality of it? Once I go I am definitely admitting to the world that I have a problem. Do many people succeed without AA or another 12 step program? I think I am going to go to a meeting this weekend just to listen and see how it feels. Any advice on that would be helpful.

Nice to meet everyone.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Jrob, . First Post- Sober Starting Today? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jrob1, welcome to SR, it is a great place.

Take a look around the boards and you will find that people have managed to stay sober using various techniques. AA works for many but there are other options such as AVRT. Spend some time learning the boards and reading about the different options and find what works for you. Many also see addiction therapists as it is more private than something such as AA. You need to develop some sort of plan for your recovery.

Keep posting!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on choosing you. Addiction is different for every person and you need to do what is good for you. I'm pretty new to the SR site and the support and information given by everyone is amazing.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think the fact that you are "open" to going to AA and basically willing to do whatever it takes is the magic ticket. I did utilize AA in a prior attempt at sobriety (although then I was more motivated to stop the misery of my drinking rather than really desiring sobriety : ) I think sharing the journey of sobriety with others is a really important part of recovery. I have found an outstanding community here at SR and the folks here have kept me standing when I've been wobbly. I know that AA is one of the options on my list should I feel so inclined. Since the day I got sober I was always open to going to a meeting..even just to listen. I still am.

All the best to you ...and welcome to sobriety and SR!